Options

WSUS Question

mkc7985mkc7985 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do I need to make a GPO for the whole domain to point clients to a WSUS server regardless of client OS? Or if clients are XP service pack 1 or 2 will everything happen automatically?

Comments

• Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey mkc7985,

A GPO to use WSUS can be be applied to the whole domain, but it can also be applied to individual OU'S if you only wanted a few clients to pick up WSUS.

Wheather or not the clients are SP1/2 is irrelavant
  • Options
    So basically just installing the WSUS service on a server will not set up any of the automatic updates configurations for the clients? A GPO has to be applied to all computers which I would want to point to my WSUS server? Will the clients that are configured for WSUS no longer be allowed to contact microsoft.com directly?
  • Options
    he-manhe-man Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No, by default installing WSUS on a box doesnt do anything, you have to point your clients at it/apply a policy to.

You can manually connect to the MS update site, but the automatic updates options will actually be greyed out once the GPO has succesfully been applied to a client.
  • Options
    Thanks man I really appreciate it.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If for whatever reason you don't want to use a GPO, you can simply edit the registry on clients to point to the WSUS server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    sprkymrk wrote:
    If for whatever reason you don't want to use a GPO, you can simply edit the registry on clients to point to the WSUS server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

beat me to it