Options

Windows® Home Server

skubasteveskubasteve Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm not quite sure what to make of this idea...
LAS VEGAS — Jan. 8, 2007 — In his keynote address Sunday at the 2007 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates unveiled Microsoft Corp.’s plans for an innovative consumer software product available later this year: Windows® Home Server.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2007/jan07/01-08WindowsHomeServerPR.mspx?wt_svl=20190a&mg_id=20190b

What do you guys think?
"The search for static security - in the law and elsewhere - is misguided. The fact is security can only be achieved through constant change, adapting old ideas that have outlived their usefulness to current facts.”

-William Osler

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    They would really have to target it right......for the people that are still used to media-based entertainment of dvds + consoles, how will this differ from having an amazing surround sound+digital receiver system? For the people that are into this sort of thing, how will this be different from a Digital Entertainment centre running Media Centre?

In the end, if this is just another way I could "store" and "play" my multimedia files, I think it's going to flop.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the end, if this is just another way I could "store" and "play" my multimedia files, I think it's going to flop.

If by "flop" you mean that MS will only make a few hundred million then I agree. With the exception of Windows ME, has anything MS done ever really flopped in the true sense of the word? icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft Bob?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    sprkymrk wrote:
    With the exception of Windows ME, has anything MS done ever really flopped in the true sense of the word? icon_lol.gif

alright....alright.......wrong word choice for what I mean...and the truth is, I probably speak too soon.

You do bring up a good point.....If MS really wants this to happen and if it doesnt succeed, is it necessarily the quality of the product? And on the other hand, if it does succeed, is it necessarily the quality of the product?

Let's see how this cooks up.....first Windows Small Business Server, now Windows Home Server...what will they think of next? Windows School Server...Windows Playground Server..... icon_wink.gif
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I think fiber to the home with hi-def streaming via the internet to wi-fi enabled hi-def televisions is the future. A Windows Home Media Server will be a centralized point to store these streaming media (either by purchase or some DRM that will store it on your Home Media Server to be used for a specific amount of days) for you to be able to view it on your televisions for a specific amount of days or indefinitely; depending on purchase/rental plans.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let's see how this cooks up.....first Windows Small Business Server, now Windows Home Server...what will they think of next? Windows School Server...Windows Playground Server..... icon_wink.gif

Hey, if you get a patent on those ideas MS will probably give you a great buy-out in a couple of years! I'm going to get a copyright on "Warez Server" and "Pirate Server" icon_pirat.gif because eventually MS may decide that if they can't beat 'em they might as well join 'em.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually, not a bad idea. Once there are more computer controlled home appliances having a server to monitor and control them is not a bad idea.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    9002530990025309 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone wants home server invites, message me.

I got 2