Options

Interview Today... Windows Engineer Position

I just recieved a raise from my current employer and less job duties, but I have already planned to meet with the president of another company today so I will just see how it goes.

Sounds like a lot of travel and long hours for a salary position. I currently make hourly and its very comparable to any well paid salary anyhow...

I figure its not a bad idea to get my name thrown out to another company just incase things dont work out here for whatever reason.

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Cool business model, they are basically a high botique company for computer clients. They decide who their clients are. The company contacts the business and presents their business model to potential clients, they do not accept phone calls from anyone, they have to either be referred or contacted by somone from the company.

They have only been around for 3 years, but they service BP, and other known clients. Sounds like a good company.

Down side, all work is contract work with support contracts. They are basically an outsourced IT firm. Most all work is done at night. Job is hourly, 1.5 for OT work, you are on call pretty much 24/7.

Upsides: Benefits, higher income, dealing with up to date technology all the time, 401k plan with 3% match...

I have not been accepted for the position, but I felt the interview went really well.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    401k plan with 3% match...

I would hope you mean 50-100% match up to 3% of your paycheck.

Both sound like good opportunities. It depends on your personal needs. With one, you will have a better quality of life in the long run (working at new company) because you will be able to work with the newest technology. It will put a hinder on your quality of life in the present time. However, working at the other job, it is more relaxed and it sounds like it still has room for you to grow (since you just got a raise).

I look at it this way. With the new job, you are on call and you can get called a lot. You will have to work at night. The good thing, like I stated already, is you will work with a very good company with the latest technology. This will bring you to be worth more faster and is better long-term. you wi. Don't forget that salary isn't the only reason to take a job. Benefits, the environment (positive vs negative), etc...

As I said, it's all based on your needs and wants. Work your ass off now and reap the benefits faster or relax now and have it take longer to meet your career goals.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would hope you mean 50-100% match up to 3% of your paycheck.

It sounds like to me, the company has a "Safe Harbor" 401K plan which provides a 3% contribution only, no match.

It sounds so familiar because thats what my current company does :)
  • Options
    I believe its a 100% match up to 3% of your check amount.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    TechJunky wrote:
    I believe its a 100% match up to 3% of your check amount.

That's what my company does, except it's half of what I contribute up to 3% of my "projected" annual rate since I'm hourly. So I contribute 6% so I can get the full 3% fromt he company. I'm 100% vested at year 7, otherwise I only get certain percentages of the company's contribution if I leave before then.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    I have a feeling he will be calling me back to let me know that he cannot meet my current salary...

This job has great perks anyhow, :P Going to Floridia in a month, woo hoo!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have a feeling he will be calling me back to let me know that he cannot meet my current salary...

This job has great perks anyhow, :P Going to Floridia in a month, woo hoo!

So you got the job?
    Moving from Alaska to Florida?
    Congrats are in order if I am not mistaken. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I guess I should have worded that better...

I am sticking with my current position, I am going to Florida for a week for vacation.

Then in June I am going to Washington D.C.

Most companies dont allow so much vacation time.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, okay!
    Have a good time in Florida. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.