Options

CCNA

mburgukmburguk Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post to this forum, i think I just need some some reassurance after having failed the CCNA twice now

The story so far is I took the ccna and 3 ccnp modules about 5 years ago, i let the cert expire now im trying to recertify with out much success so far and have failed the ccna twice

Any moral support wil be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mrkoreanmrkorean Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear you failing the exam, its a lot tougher than the CCNA when you taken it.

What are you failing on? You should have a list of % on your result sheet when you taken the exam.

Have you got the latest CCNA book by ciscopress or sybex.

Keep working hard, I failed my CCNA on first attempt but passed on the second attempt :D
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi mburguk,

mrkorean is definately correct in saying the exam is harder than back when you done the CCNA. I done the CCNA curriculum about 5 years ago but never sat the exam.

Saying that though if you done the course and passed CCNA and CCNP there should still be alot of foundation stuff that has stuck i.e. subnetting, osi model etc and there's alot of irrelevant crap cut out of the new exam.

When I done the curriculum the first time there was a whole chapter on semester 1 dedicated to atoms, electrons, manchester encoding, standards on how many centimetres an RJ45 point should be from the floor/skirting board.

Although the current curriculum touches on these it is nowhere near the volume of when I done it.

I've found that picking up from where I left off hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I've been studying since sep 06 from the sybex 5th edition and have the exam booked for 20th March. That's 6 months just to "jog my memory" which indicates how much more difficult the exam is now. There are some good resources on the Cisco website in the CCNA prep center, all you have to do is sign up and you get free lab practices, exam questions, webcast video's on topics explained by Cisco employees, it really is a great resource.

How much time/study did you put in before the attempts? Do you have access to lab equipment/simulator? What area do you find you're having problems?

Have you printed the objectives of the exam from the cisco website and thought about how well you know each objective?

Keep your chin up and don't quit!......You will pass it next time if you take on board some of the advice of the very helpful people on this site :D

Malc
  • Options
    mburgukmburguk Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all very much for the advice and encouragement

I have just purchased the revised sybex book and plan to study from there
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sybex is a really good Study guide. But try to hurry a bit... the curriculum will be changed soon, i read about that in another forum that there willl be a curriculum update, i i guess some stuff int he curriculum will be changed, so the exam a bit

CCNP curriculum was updated at the begginnig of this year...

Good luck
  • Options
    maniac_73maniac_73 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sybex is a really good Study guide. But try to hurry a bit... the curriculum will be changed soon, i read about that in another forum that there willl be a curriculum update, i i guess some stuff int he curriculum will be changed, so the exam a bit

CCNP curriculum was updated at the begginnig of this year...

Good luck

source please
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    One problem I have had with my studying is structuring it properly and find myself bouncing all over the place.

Since then I have come across Sybex Fast Pass. Yes it sounded like some sort of braindump to me too but it actually has given me a structured approach now. It's not detailed enough to be all you need but I have the Cisco Press books and the Lammle Sybex for that. (not to mention about a bazillion other pdfs on different ccna topics)

Rather than being structured from the basics to the advanced stuff, it's structured by design, implementation, troubleshooting, technology, etc and then goes through the sub topics in each of those catagories. Seems to be working for me and I am actually starting to make some headway into the syllabus now.
    Kam.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    <link no longer works>

This is a ppt of the new curriculum update of CCNA it explains onwhats new and all that

And about CCNP curriculum update the new curriculum is alredy out... the 5.0 version....
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    This is a ppt of the new curriculum update of CCNA it explains onwhats new and all that

And about CCNP curriculum update the new curriculum is alredy out... the 5.0 version....

Yikes ! Best I finish my CCNA asap! That looks like an awful lot of mucking about. Is that 4 courses for CCNA ? Yes it won't be such a beast but thats also 4 books and 4 exam fees!

CCNP - Apparantly ccnp 1&3 were changed in jan and the ppt said 2&4 by June. Sorry to hijack thread....
    Kam.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's the Cisco Network Academy update. The Academy courses can be taught at high schools, community colleges, expensive "Technical $chools," and other training places. The "change" splits the Academy Training into different tracks depending on the training programs focus. Someone sitting through a 2 year "networking program" doesn't need to be bored to tears going through the first semester and about 1/2 of the 2nd semester when they hit the Cisco part of the course if they've already covered that in their "intro networking" course.

You still take the same old CCNA exam regardless which "track" your Academy follows.

The CCNP Academy Courses did change and are changing to match the new CCNP Exams -- but Academy Students can take the old courses and have until December 2007 to take the old CCNP exam to match their course (or at least that's what Cisco said last December).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!