Is this test much easier if you have real job experience?

Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been putting off 70-270 for a while now, I was in a good study groove but then I got a new job, and when you get home at 6 it’s hard to get motivated to do anything but relax. But so far my new job has been a great learning experience, I work desktop support for a large investment company in Boston, so I get great hands on experience with their network and the common problems that you run into. I feel like many of the issues that I deal with daily will be common questions on the test. I am thinking of just studying daily for a few weeks and then taking the test, because I feel like the longer I put it off it will never get done, and plus passing a test will give me incentive to study for more. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement from people who have worked desktop support for a few mouths and then taken the test, did you find it difficult? Did the hands on experience that you have gained really help out? I feel that with the experience, plus studying hard for a few weeks the test should not be too bad right?

Comments

• SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Depends on the Scope of your position

the 270 exams does want you to know where variouis options are inside of XP...you problaby use most of these helping users find where to chage display settings or use device manager when trouble shooting a bad piece of hardware or bad driver. yuo mgiht even user perfomance montiro as well

but depending on how you organization works you might not ever set up permissions... or ever se how AD works and there are quite a few qestions on those aspects in the exam

take a look at the exam objectives and see what you do on a daily basis and what coresponds. I've prsonally never done desktop supprot and been able to change stuff in AD until I got a net admin job here I administer the netwoprk and help users but most desktop staff from my expereince hardly ever deals with AD.
  • Matt_SmiMatt_Smi Member Posts: 111 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Smallguy wrote:
    Depends on the Scope of your position
    but depending on how you organization works you might not ever set up permissions... or ever se how AD works and there are quite a few qestions on those aspects in the exam

I was thinking about this, I do deal with AD a little bit, adding computers and such, but not too much with group policy or permissions, that is a different team. I think I will go over the objectives and make note of the ones that I do not deal with all the time and focus my study on those.
  • dojodojo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats a good way to do it, my tip is to install Virtual PC on your computer and set up a few computer to train on, it helps alot. And you can do alot of damage to these Virtual PC without risking damaging your system...icon_smile.gif

On my way to the MCSA highway!!
  • kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    Another way to guage your readiness is to get some good practice tests that closely resemble the actual exam, like MeasureUp or Transcender. If you can pass those comfortably (around 90%), you're ready.