Options

MS testing format

Hi all

Just a few questions about the MS exam format.

1) If there are questions with more than one answer required what happens if I get part of it wrong. ie a question with possible answers a, b, c, d, e, and the answer is a, b, c. If I choose a, b, do I fail the whole question or get a percentage of it.

2) What percentage of the questions are the simulation ones?

I'm taking the 70-210 but have posted this here as I presume the MS exams are all similiar in format (and this section gets more visitors icon_wink.gif )

Thanks peeps.

Charlie.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The questions are weighted. So if you get part of an answer wrong but part of it right, you get partial credit. Microsoft has not officially stated that this is how it actually is, but every exam I've had as well as many others I know, get scores like 943, 721, 836 out of 1000 with 40/42/44 questions. It must be weighted to get these scores.

Also, you will see on average of 3-5 simulations per exam. It also depends on which exam you take. For example, for 70-284 (Exchange Administration), there are 0 simulations. The same applies to 70-297. I am not sure about other exams that do not include simulations.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the reply.

42,44 questions? I thought there are usually 50. I could be wrong of course!

Thanks

Charlie.
  • Options
    VantageUK wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

42,44 questions? I thought there are usually 50. I could be wrong of course!

Thanks

Charlie.

I've never had over 46 questions on any of my exams. I've had anywhere from 38-46 questions with 3-5 simulations.
  • Options
    DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since we're talking about this, are you able to hit a back button to go back or do u get to review at the end?
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • Options
    giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i just took this test today and i had 58 questions.
  • Options
    giterrell wrote:
    i just took this test today and i had 58 questions.

What it might be is that I took my 70-270 back on 2003. I didn't start doing the rest of the Microsoft exams till last year. The 70-270 might have more questions, but the 70-290 and on definitely don't have that many.
    DragonNOA1 wrote:
    Since we're talking about this, are you able to hit a back button to go back or do u get to review at the end?

Yes, you can go back and forward. You can also review at the end as well as make comments.
  • Options
    I thought that because the tests were adaptive you could not go back during the test?
  • Options
    VantageUK wrote:
    I thought that because the tests were adaptive you could not go back during the test?

The tests are not adaptive. Microsoft states that they hold the right to make an exam adaptive whenever they choose, however. I would spend some time reading the Microsoft Certification website here.

This url is from one of Microsoft's Certification FAQ and includes information about Microsoft's stance on Adaptive Exams:. I have included the information directly from the page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/preparing.mspx
    Q. What is adaptive testing?
    A.

An adaptive test is customized to the individual exam taker. Each candidate starts with an easy-to-moderately difficult question; those answering the question correctly receive a more difficult follow-up question. If that question is answered correctly, the difficulty of successive questions similarly increases. Conversely, if the first question is answered incorrectly, the following questions will be easier. This process continues only until the adaptive algorithm determines the candidate's score.

The key difference that candidates notice between adaptive exams and conventional exams is that they cannot skip or go back and review previously answered questions on adaptive exams. A screen at the beginning of the exam informs candidates that reviewing previous questions will not be allowed.

Microsoft does not currently use adaptive testing algorithms in any of its exams.
  • Options
    Thanks for that

Charlie.
  • Options
    gcorkygcorky Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    we were told 58 questions and no simulation...maybe some exhibit type though.
  • Options
    Anyways.

Passed today with a 784 (70-210). Was harder than I'd anticipated.

Thanks all for the advice. A few beers now I think.

:EDIT: there were 50 questions. 2 sims, approx 5 exhibits.

Cheers

Charlie.