Options

Where do I begin?

JrmiconJrmicon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have my A+ and I just passed my Net+ yesterday and I am ready to start on something new. Unfortunately, I can't decide if I want to go MCSA or MCSE right now. Also, I don't know if I want 2k or 2k3 so I am looking for some advice from you all. After looking through the three different certifications MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2000, and MCSA 2003 I noticed that the 70-201 exam is in ALL of them. Would this be a good starting point? Is the 70-210 one of the harder or one of the easier exams? What material do you recommend using to study from? I have been using Sybex for the A+ and Net+ are they good for the MCSE/A stuff as well? Any other material you think I should get?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can use the Win2000 Pro exam (210) or the WinXP Pro exam (270) in any of the tracks (MCSA/E 2000/2003). XP is the newer version, but a lot of people don't take it seriously.

As far as 2000 or 2003? Are you in IT now, if not when do you planning on getting into IT? If you are in IT now, go with 2000. If you don't plan on getting into IT for another year, go with 2003.

for books, the sybex books usually get high ratings. I would also recommend looking at some test sims. The MS questions are a lot more involved then the comptia questions.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    jlambertjlambert Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should shoot for MCSE 2003. 2000 is a waste since you will have to upgrade sooner than later and you can still use 2003 just not all the features will be in 2000, but u will still know how to use it. You can get MCSA 2003 along the way. Just plan a test route that will get you MCSA first. Take the 70-270 also for the same reason. It's the newest client OS and you will still know how to use windows 2000 pro just some of the features wont be there.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I am currently in the IT field as a help desk manager. We use 2k on 90% of our systems, the other 10% are a mix of NT4 and XP Pro. Unfortunately, the two responses I got both say different things, one says go with 2k the other says go with 2k3. I think I will just start with the 70-210 or maybe the 70-270 and once I finish that test in 2 months I can hopeflly make up mind as to going 2k or 2k3. But once again thanks for the input.
  • Options
    Since you are already in IT and working in a mostly Win2k pro environment go with Win2k Pro.

What is the server environment like where you work? that might help you choose between 2k & 2003.
    Andy

• Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    I am in the same boat. I work in the IT field and am currently trying to get my net+. But I am confused as to what bok to buy and what test to study for. Different people keep giving mixed answers. That could be because there is no definite answer.
    So if you go for the 2k track, you have to recertify for 2k3 within the next 2 years? is that right?
  • Options
    I am in the same boat. I work in the IT field and am currently trying to get my net+. But I am confused as to what bok to buy and what test to study for. Different people keep giving mixed answers. That could be because there is no definite answer.
    So if you go for the 2k track, you have to recertify for 2k3 within the next 2 years? is that right?

Part of the problem is that everyone has an opinion and they are usually different. It is hard to say who is right or wrong or if anyone is actually right or wrong. What makes it even harder now is that Windows 2003 has only been out since april, so we are in a transition between OSes and Certs. As time goes on fewer people will even recommend MCSE 2000.

As far as recertifing, i have not seen a retirement date for the MCSE 2k3 upgrade exams.
    Andy

• Options
    Our servers are all running win 2k but because this company of 4000 has the philosophy "if it aint broke dont' fix it" we are not even AD. Considering I am only 24 I don't plan on being here forever and I don't want to get a specific cert just because the place I work now is behind. I think I have decided on going the 2k3 path but I am going to take a break till Dec 1 before I start again, I'm kinda burnt out on the A+ Net+ stuff back to back.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Thank you for the info. After reading that, I feel like I should "bite the bullet" and just go for 2k3. I won't be started this for a couple of months anyway