Options

Windows Vista showing NTFS...

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
Vista shows NTFS, however if I put an XP pro cd in to do a clean install it will not detect the hard drive.

This is on a HP DV6000 laptop with a 160GB drive.

Any ideas why XP can not detect the drives?

Comments

• Options
    Sorry for sounding ignorant... Does vista come pre-setup with TxF?

I have not kept on top of Vista like I should.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

In short, you need Service Pack 1 or later to enable Logical Block Addressing (LBA) to support hard disk drives that are 137GB or larger. If I were you, I would slipstream Sp2 and make a new bootable XP CD. The following link contains good information that will assist you in the process of slipstreaming.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check and see if the harddrive is a sata drive, u may have to load the drivers up for it if it is.
  • Options
    It is a SATA Drive, and I was using XP Pro with SP2. I was able to get the sata drivers from HP, I will see if that fixes the problem.
  • Options
    zebra-3zebra-3 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:
    It is a SATA Drive, and I was using XP Pro with SP2. I was able to get the sata drivers from HP, I will see if that fixes the problem.

you probably know that if you are Mcdst but you may have forget, when you install XP it will pause for a few seconds and at the bottom of the screen it will ask you to hit F6 if you want to install drivers, thats where you have to install the drivers, it will only work with a Floppy disk drive unfortunately !!! so i hope for you that you have an external USB FDD as I doubt you bought a new laptop with integrated FDD.

20051118-02.jpg
  • Options
    F6 is your friend.. ;)

It's always good to show helpful information, even if one does already know it. Hopefully someone else will look at the picture you posted to give them a better idea if they dont have a home lab to test it out on.

I just got into work and have had other priorities so I will let everyone know later on.