Options

CIPT first....doable?

kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I jst got my ccna about 2 weeks ago now as part of training for work. they now want me to do the ccvp and my manager has specified CIPT. I thinks that decision was mostly because he wants me to understand and be able to implement call manager issues sooner rather than later. I just want to know wether this will make things significanlty more difficult for me, as i've read about doing QOS/CVoice first.

If its going to be too difficult im sure i can worm my way out of it.

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It probably would be a better idea to start with CVOICE.... but since Call Manager is a lot of software stuff, it may be doable.

If you're being sent to a class for CIPT, then try and go through the free IPExpert CCVP Class-on-Demand CVOICE modules first. Make sure you do them "in sequence" since they seem to be listed "out of sequence."

If you're doing self-study -- then it probably makes more sense to do CVOICE first.

QOS makes sense as the first exam if you did the CCNP. All the other exams are "New Stuff" and QOS was covered under the CCNP.

With just the CCNA, QOS will also be "New Stuff" but if you have the Odom book (or the Cisco Online Documentation) to reference while studying you may be able to put it off. QOS is very important and will be "referenced" while studying for the other exams, but you probably could put to 2nd to last exam before troubleshooting (IPTT).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike :)

i suppose it is as i figured then, i dont have any QOS knowledge at all as i never tocuhed CCNP. so i will probably do the cvoice first followed by the CIPT or QOS. for something like CVOICE, is there much lab practicals to do? or is it mainly thoery?

again thanks for your input!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kaleel86 wrote:
    for something like CVOICE, is there much lab practicals to do? or is it mainly thoery?
    I'll say both -- lots of theory (the new stuff) and the configurations.

The CVOICE Blueprint has 2 sections (out of 7) that are router configuration and troubleshooting -- but I'd say those 2 hands on sections are pretty darn important.

The only hands on limit may be your access to equipment. In one of the CCVP equipment posts I mentioned what I had and used.... and what I thought you could skip for now. A CallManager Server and Gateway would be nice for CVOICE, but I think the configurations were basic and minimal -- and you get nailed on those two things in their own exams later.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!