Options

1912C Switch - 100Base-TX Port Issues

spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I got a 1912C switch and two 2501 routers from CiscoKits recently. So far I have had no issues with the router and the switch. On the switch I have been using the AUI port when attaching the switch to the router. The switch has a 100Base-TX and 100Base-FX port. I tried attaching the 100Base-TX port to one of the routers using a straight-through cable. The link light doesn't show that the port is connected and doing a show interface fast 0/27 confirms their is no link beat. I have ensured the port is "enabled" and not "disabled".

Other than a hardware issue with the port, I cannot figure out why it's not working. Hoping one of you pros can confirm what the issue is.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    JBeamJBeam Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Im studying for the CCNA so I don't know ALOT but, did you do "no shut" on the interface of the router? Type "show ip int brief" on your router and see if the Ethernet port is "up/up"

Also, if you have your interface enabled, its not likely but have you tried different CAT5 cable? In class we had the same problem everything was configured, ended up being a bad cable.

If this info is incorrect please correct me, I'm currently enrolled in my 3rd Semester for CCNA study. Thanks!
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    well, if the switch doesn't detect the link the problem could be located at the router (if your switch isn't broken).

- cable is good? is it well made?
    - does your tranceiver work well?
    - have you already set the right parameters on the router's ethernet interface?
    -
    - have you made any configuration change on your sw?

obviously i wanna think thet you alreday perform the no shut command on the router's int.
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

I did the "no shut" on the port.

Connecting the router cable (straight-through) to any of the 12 - 10Mbps ports on the switch works with no problem as well as the AUI. I am pretty sure I tried a different CAT5 cable, but I will try again when I get home to eliminate a faulty cable.

The only thing I did with the switch since I got it was to upgrade the IOS to a higher version 9.x.
    It's been a while since I've worked with a 1900 series. The question I have is, is the uplink port 10/100Base-TX or just straight 100Base-TX icon_confused.gif: You can try connecting the NIC from your PC to the uplink port to see if you get a link light.
    Just a thought.... icon_wink.gif

Georgemc
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    hectorjhrdzhectorjhrdz Member Posts: 127
    simpler advice but really good
  • Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Is the port on the 1900 set to a speed ie 100 full, the Cisco 25XX series only support 10mbs, try setting auto on both ends.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

I have confirmed what the problem is - my bad. The switch's 100BASE-TX port is fixed at 100mbps and the router's AUI is 10mbps. There is no-way to bring the 100 down to a 10. So I will have to use the 10mbps AUI port on the switch. Looks like I will need to get another switch to play with trunking.

Thanks for all your help!