Options

ISDN problem

thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
Hey everyone. Looking for some help from some router gurus. I set up two ISDN routers using ppp with chap authentication. SPIDs are correct + valid, and the physical layer is activated. My problem:

The connection works, when one router (call it A) pings router B. Once the connection is open, traffic will flow as it should and B can ping A and vice versa. The problem is router B cannot initiate the connection, as router A hangs up. This is a simple setup, with a basic dialer-list permitting all IP traffic on both routers. Any suggestions on where to look? I don't have the configs handy but they are both identical. ('Cept SPIDS are reversed of course)

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Are you using the proper CHAP username/password on both routers? I know that you need to use the name of the router you're trying to call as the username you should use on the local router. I would imagine you have it set up correctly if you can initiate calls at all, but it might be worth a look if only one of the machines can make the calls and the other can't. (Since you said they were configured with identical info.)

Essentially, Router1 would use Router2 as the username to authenticate, and Router2 would use Router1, and both would use the agreed upon password.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    Authentication is correct on both machines, it seems to be more of a ppp negotiation issue than authentication issue, but when debugging the only useful info was "call was hung up."

The routers are both 1720's, and what was did was swap out each router (one at a time) for a known good, and everything worked. However, the two of them together is when the issue occurs.