Options

Group Policy Lab

BryanM67BryanM67 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a MS 2003 server set up at home with an XP client. I believe that my weakest link of understanding for 70-290 is administering Group Policy. I have read up on it but would like to actually use it. Any suggestions or links to any labs that use GPO? I'd appreciate any input.

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    rock360rock360 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    this and all those permissions and what they all equate to are really what get me too, its a big mess imo when you add in groups if you have a big complicated tree.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I can recommend going by the end-of-chapter reviews and case studies in the MS Press book, there are a lot of good projects to do there to help you out. There is even a textbook version of the MS Press book that you can purchase with a lab manual. Also, the Thomson book is geared more towards students in a lab environment, and features a lot more hands-on type of work. There is also a lab manual for this book, as well as both of these books being the preferred reading material to use in conjunction with TestOut.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Yea, i got one of the thomson books, the covers different but it has all the same chapters and whatnot, we also got testout but that was only recently and i havent messed with it. I dont know man, im having trouble sinking some of this in, i just need a better picture of the larger scale. Its just hard for me to just accept and know all this when i dont understand the big picture ya know?

Group policy doesnt seem hard though.........I understand it pretty good, the only thing though is i know the order is local computer, site, domain and OU so if you configure it to not show the run command on the local computer, but have maybe something like show run command on startmenu on the OU level, it would be configured to show it right???

I think i just need my brain de-fragged, i've studied too much stuff crap......just need to talk things through to my self more. I hate how they explain this stuff.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Take a break from it, spend the weekend just relaxing. I'd really recommend the TestOut, it's what I used to help me prepare for my tests. Dig into it once you've got your head cleared, and you'll get it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    naah, i need to just study more on my problems areas, which aint very many. I got 1st in bpa (business professionals of america) at state on microsoft server admin, cisco administration, 3rd in network technologies, and a top ten in computer security. Cant believe i didnt get a top ten in this other one, uhh what was it called, it was like just general IT though, i probably missed some of the office questions.

It wasnt hard though, only my class placed in microsoft and cisco, hehe, were in the post-secondary divison and there weren't many people in those catagories but damn does that make my resume look so much better :)

Yeah though, there are just like what 3 hard chapters in this book mainly, the other stuff i know pretty much already.