Options

I Passed The CWNA Certification

wirelessboywirelessboy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone....just had to share my great news.

I took the Certified Wireless Network Administrator test today from Planet3 Wireless and I passed.

A 70% was required to pass and I got a 77% but hey a pass is a pass right? :D

For those of you thinking about taking this cert., GO FOR IT BUT BE PREPARED. I used the official CWNA study guide from www.cwne.com and practice tests from Boson.

The test itself is 90 questions and you get 90 minutes to complete it. It took me about an hour but a lot of the questions took some very deep thinking about real world situations. I plan on continuing into the CWSP certification.

I will admit the price of $175 is a little steep but it feels great now that I passed it and it's all behind me now! The admin said some TechNots are in the making as well as possibly some practice tests.

Good luck to everyone thinking about taking this test!

Comments

• Options
    LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Congrats on the pass, and your right, a pass is a pass. Good luck to you in the future.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Well done! Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    The admin said some TechNotes are in the making as well as possibly some practice tests.

Indeed, the forum is already created, but still invisible, I'll add some posts with basic info about the CWNP certs, and make it visible to our visitors when I put the first practice questions online. Currently working on question nr. 8 :) I'm trying to write at least 15 to 25 before I put them online.

After your suggestion for CWNA forums I started reading some pages thru google about topics listed in the exam objectives... I know the basics of wireless networking, have a wireless home network, but once I started reading I couldn't stop, it's so darn interesting :D

I always use the exam objectives to write TechNotes and exam questions, and the good thing is that (like CompTIA) Planet3 provides a rather clear and detailed list of the subjects. I always try to start with the first objectives listed, hence the first TechNotes will cover things like reflection, refraction, diffraction, scattering, amplifying, attenuation, absorption, loss, gain, VSWR and more.... "Basic concepts of RF behavior"

Like I said, I know the basics, hence I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, but I want (need) to know more about topics before I write about it, the topic being so darn interesting makes it a lot easier :) Nevertheless, I hope you are willing to 'proof read ' the practice questions once I put them online.

Definitely a cert added to my wishlist, I think I'm going for the $225 package including the book, practice exams, and voucher later this year or early next.

Good luck with the CWSP cert!
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    I always try to start with the first objectives listed, hence the first TechNotes will cover things like reflection, refraction, diffraction, scattering, amplifying, attenuation, absorption, loss, gain, VSWR and more.... "Basic concepts of RF behavior"

I agree...that is the absolute best place to start. Without an understanding of RF basics, a person can't grasp the full understanding of WLANs.

I have been studying the past month for my Network+ exam as well with the technotes from this site as well as various practice tests so I have a pretty good understanding of wired LANs. I am planning on taking that cert. at the beginning of November. I haven't set an exact date as of yet, but that is what I always have to do to kick my study habits into overdrive. icon_lol.gif

As for the TechNotes and Practice tests....I can help you out making some questions if you would like. Just let me know by email.
  • Options
    bigstar*bigstar* Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats wirelessboy!

I have been thinking of taking this cert as well right after my MCSA but I might do it sooner because wireless LANs fascinates me.

How much are the books to study from?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Considering the exam cost of $175, the following bundle seems worth the money:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.cwne.com/products/CWNABUNDLE3.html

The official study guide is $69,95 at www.cwne.com bu I've seen it for less than $50 at some online book stores...
  • Options
    Yep I used the official CWNA study guide. Webmaster posted the link in the message above mine. It was amazing but I recommend reading it more than once because of the details involved.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Sounds like an interesting certification. I've been working with wireless for over 2 years now, so I think I'll try for this test once I get my MCSE:Security and CCNA. It's always great to have more acronyms on a resume icon_wink.gif .

Cheeblie
  • Options
    bonam004bonam004 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long did u study for it ? Only their official book you used?