Options

Book recommendations??

SpunkerspawnSpunkerspawn Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Now that I passed my 070-270 exam I would like to get rolling on the 290... Any books you would recommend for me?

I have a fair amount of experience with Windows Server 2003 as most of our clients use it and we support them.
However I don't want to be stuck with the basics forever, I want to dig deep and learn the intricate workings of it ;)

Anyways I'm going off topic... So any recommendations from you experts? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im almost done with the MSPress book and it is pretty good. There a few boring spots, but i would recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree that the MSPress book is pretty good. Just make sure you read the Terminal Services chapter that is after the index for some odd reason. Good luck with 70-290 and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for the prompt reply :)
    I will check it out
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Don't forget, you can get the books for all four core exams in a single pack, which generally ends up being a little cheaper.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    This is true that you can get them all in one single pack, but I would advise anyone to stay away from the MSPress 70-293 book. I read both the MSPress 70-293 and the Syngress 70-293, and the Syngress is far superior. The Mspress 70-290, 70-291, and 70-294 are all excellent books, however.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only other book I can recommend, as well, is the one that my school uses for the 70-290 class, 70-290: MCSE Guide to Managing a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment, Enhanced which is from Course Technology. I didn't use this one for my exam, but I used the Security+ book they wrote for that test, and I really liked it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agreed that the MS Press 70-293 book was not as flash as the others.

MS Press 290, 291, 294 are great. Have not looked at the 297 book yet though.
  • Options
    For 70-297, I used the Sybex book which I felt did a great job at preparing me for the exam.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Was about to start a similiar thread.

I'm torn between buying the Sybex and the MS book.

I've just used the Sybex book for the 70-210 exam (with the Meyers Passport) and I thought it was OK but the practice questions are too simple. I don't want a book to go easy on me, I want to be tested BEFORE the exam.

So, to sum up... do I go for the Sybex or the MS? Or is there an alternative book?

Cheers

Charlie.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go with the MS Press Book Vant. I used both the Sybex and the MS Press Book and can tell you the MS Press Book supplied 95% of the information in regards to the questions I've seen on the Transcenders and MeasureUp practice questions.
  • Options
    Well I'm sold! MS PRESS for me it is! :)
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Yeah, I've bought the MS one.

Not had chance to read more than a couple of chapters. It looks pretty heavy going though to me. Hopefully it'll all become clear when I get my domain controller set up tomorrow :)

Might also try the Sybex one for a bit of "light"er reading.

Cheers

Charlie.