WSUS issue

motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
Hey,
Just installed WSUS and I'm trying to test it out on a few PC's before going live with it. The problem I'm having is I can't get the PC's recognized in the WSUS console so I can administer updates from the server. I created a GPO for my test OU and it seems that the policy is functioning because when I go to automatic updates on the client PC's, the options are grayed out meaning (I hope) the policy is being applied. I've pointed the clients to the server, just need to get the WSUS console to see the PC's. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you have no typos in the server name. I have seen this mistake where they are supposed to point to http://servername and seen them forget the http, or the : or even use http:\\, none of which will work.

If these computers were made from images, they may have the same wsus client id, to fix that stop the Auto Update service on the client, delete the following 2 keys from the registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\SusClientID
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\AccountDomainSid

Restart the Automatic Updates service, run gpupdate /force, and finally roll the WU Client with: wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
    Thanks for the tip. I've actually have 2 of the 4 PC's now recognized by WSUS and the other 2 could just be imaged machines, I'm not sure. I refreshed the policy again and will wait to see if they show up shortly. If not, I'll get into the registry and delete those keys. thanks again.
    I have 6 PC's in my test OU and all have been detected by WSUS and I can see them in the console. But WSUS is telling me there are still updates "needed" to be installed and I can't figure out how to push them to the clients and the clients won't pull these particular updates. Is it possible to manually push them from the server, I don't see an option how? Oh, and all the PC's did update this morning so I do think I've configured everything correctly, but there were only a couple of updates. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    motherwolf wrote:
    I have 6 PC's in my test OU and all have been detected by WSUS and I can see them in the console. But WSUS is telling me there are still updates "needed" to be installed and I can't figure out how to push them to the clients and the clients won't pull these particular updates. Is it possible to manually push them from the server, I don't see an option how? Oh, and all the PC's did update this morning so I do think I've configured everything correctly, but there were only a couple of updates. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You have make sure the update is one you have set to "Install" rather than just "Detect".

One way to do it is from the Computers View, under Status of the computer in question, click on the Update Title name, then click Change Approval.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try