Options

Profesional Resume Writing

DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'd like to know what your opinions and experiences are with professional resume writers. Is it worth it? Have any of you seen good results from paying somebody to professionally re-write your resume? I know Monster and a few of the other online career sites offer these services. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Any opinions on professional resume writing?
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Hi DS,

Personally, they would have to show me a lot of their resumes first to see if I thought they were good enough to get me that interview. Unfortunately they will ever do that or you could simply copy their recipe.

For me to pay someone to do this for me, their previous examples would have to knock my socks off. Lets face it, anyone of us could read several books, hit on a good structure and advertise ourselves as a resume writing service..

There is no winning formula as every employer will prefer different layouts and different wordings. Once you hit on something that seems to work, you just tweak it here and there every now and again and keep it up to date when you are in full time employment.

I'm applying for work at the moment and think I have quite a good resume honed over the years. Saw a nice job I am after and found it's application form only which really ticked me off. I hate application forms. Stifles all creativity and chances to stand out from the croud. Paying out for a resume service would have been totally worthless in this case.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Good points, Kaminsky. I've heard a couple stories where people invested a good chunk of change in resume writing only to get something that wasn't worth a dime. Thanks for the feedback!