Options

subnet phrasing question

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
i've come across a question in the ccna prep center icnd practice test. It asked for how many usable hosts and subnets in the subnet mask 255.255.255.240
How do i answer that, it doesn't give an ip address along with it, should i just assume they mean class c based on the multi-choice options?

ty
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    i've come across a question in the ccna prep center icnd practice test. It asked for how many usable hosts and subnets in the subnet mask 255.255.255.240
    How do i answer that, it doesn't give an ip address along with it, should i just assume they mean class c based on the multi-choice options?

ty

I would say unless the question specifies i.e. 172.16.0.0 & 255.255.255.240 then go on the basis of the multiple choice answers and that it is a C Class address

****EDITED TYPO*****

In this case 16 usable networks and 14 usable hosts on each network

14 and 14 if subnet zero is disabled, but again this should be specified in the question
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It's a pretty poor question and I doubt you would get a question like that on the actual test simply because there could be several correct answers depending on whatever class you chose to subnet.
    Kam.
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    I would say unless the question specifies i.e. 172.16.0.0 & 255.255.255.240 then go on the basis of the multiple choice answers and that it is a C Class address

In this case 15 usable networks and 14 usable hosts on each network

14 and 14 if subnet zero is disabled, but again this should be specified in the question
    Isn't it 16 subnets and 14 hosts per subnet with subnet-zero enabled?
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    aquilla wrote:
    malcybood wrote:

yea i think he typo'd
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aquilla wrote:
    malcybood wrote:

Yeah sorry, 16 subnets - got a case of fat fingers icon_lol.gif

Have amended post
  • Options
    aquillaaquilla Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    aquilla wrote:
    malcybood wrote:

Yeah sorry, 16 subnets - got a case of fat fingers icon_lol.gif

Have amended post
    At least something i've been studying today has sunk in. :)
    Regards,

CCNA R&S; CCNP R&S