Salary feedback

orissaorissa Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like share first my job story, then I will ask your suggestion how to proceed for salary increase.

1-I have an AA degree (Business)

2- Join a small business company entry level tech support in 2002, with salary 30k

3-Company paid $8k for MCSE study

4-Passed A+

5-Passed Network+

6- Passed MCP

7-Passed MCSA

8-Passed MCSE 2003 in the year of 2004

9-Passed CCNA in 2005

10-Increased last year 2006 october to 41k

11-I think I deserve at least 60k with five year experience

Here is what I work for this company.

a-Setting up all network setup

b-Setting up all telephone, voice mail system etc.

c-Install ISA server and managing

d-Install two sonicwal Firewal and maintain

e-Taking care of 5 HP and 2 Dell LaserJet Printer

f-Processing all IT purchase from hardware to software

g-Helping all trouble shoot 25 onsite and 10 off site client

h-Setting account in Blackberry server and maintain

i-Setting up VPN

Please guide me how to proceed and exact way to request for more salary.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Nothing is impossible in this IT world.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would go to your supervisor, sit down with him/her, and have a talk about what you do, how much you make, and what you'd like to be making. If you're unhappy with your current pay, then that's all you can really do, aside from looking for work elsewhere. One thing you can do is to start looking at other positions that fit your qualifications and match up with the type of work you're currently doing. For one thing, it'll give you an idea of how much your contemporaries get paid (so you know what to ask your boss for), and it'll also give you an insight into what else is out there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The $60K salary you desire would be accurate if you were taking care of a few hundred clients as opposed to a couple of dozen. A lot depends on your location too. Anyway, a 30% salary increase (10,000 is one third of 30K) over a 5 year period along with the paid training you received seems reasonable.

When working for a smaller company you sometimes have to realize when you have "topped out" or hit the cieling. That's when you decide whether or not to move on.

Anyway, good luck with the raise, but if I were an employer and one of my employees came and asked for a 50% pay increase I would probably start keeping my open for trouble.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    Wow, I hate to tell you what I make as a Desktop suppot techicon_smile.gif. I work in a realestate investment firm in Greenwich CT Doing Desktop support only supporting about 200 users inhouse and Remotely I only have an Associates degree in applied Science and my A+ Cert, I left my old Job doing much more networking support making 47k and moved up to 55k now with less responsibilities. I would have to say it's all about the location. But good luck
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should have brought up the topic when you got your increase last year. Since you haven't you might need to wait until the companies next budget period or pay increase period since they really have only just had one.

Also one thing to remember, I went through the exact same thing, some companies will ONLY work with percentages so if the percentage is higher than about 5% they start to cringe. Its not really fair and doesn't reflect your abilities, skill or worth to the company but you must take on board the training they paid for.

Does sound like its probably time to move on from an experience POV anyway so maybe look for that higher pay elsewhere.
  • orissaorissa Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much for all feedback and suggestion. Day before yesterday I talk to my IT manager and told him that, I am really enjoying working with them. And its nice place to work bal bla bla. Since I am the only guy supporting network, I told him Please find someone to replace me and I will trained and show him everything. Since this company does lots for me, paid training cost etc. I have a obligation to this company. I told him, I will stay for 2 or 3 month until you find a replacement. My manager was shocked and asked me whats wrong? I told him I havea good job offer with 60k. Then he said ok I will reply you back in two week. Then within 24 hour they negotiate and finally we all agreed 55k. I am really happy with big jump from 41k to 55k.

Thank you all

strauchr wrote:
    You should have brought up the topic when you got your increase last year. Since you haven't you might need to wait until the companies next budget period or pay increase period since they really have only just had one.

Also one thing to remember, I went through the exact same thing, some companies will ONLY work with percentages so if the percentage is higher than about 5% they start to cringe. Its not really fair and doesn't reflect your abilities, skill or worth to the company but you must take on board the training they paid for.

Does sound like its probably time to move on from an experience POV anyway so maybe look for that higher pay elsewhere.
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's great news! Congratulations. :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • ra13ra13 Member Posts: 137
    Awesome!!!!!!!! After all they need you you don't need them. With your experience I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for you to find a job making at least 55k. Again Congrats icon_smile.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the jump in pay, it really shows that they're willing to hear you out and are going to want to keep you there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats, but hope you didn't put your head on the chopping block. roughly 90% of people who take counteroffers are no longer with the company after 6 months.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well played!

I tried the same trick once and got trounced so good to hear it can pay off.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Don't mean to be pessimistic but I agree with sprinkl3s. I did the same thing to my company because I felt I was doing more work than the rest of my team and asked for a raise that would at least put me on par with everyone else. I had the projects list to back up my claim so they gave me my raise, but then ended up replacing me three months later for some trivial offense. All I can say is mind your P's and Q's and don't give them a ready excuse to replace you with cheaper labor. Other than that, enjoy the well-deserved raise!
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    hmm..doesn't this topic belong to IT/Tech Jobs Forum?
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."