Can't install Server 2003

VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
I took delivery of a new Dell today, ordered specifically so I could install Server 2003 on... and I can't install it icon_sad.gif

(MS book evaluation version) Booted from CD, it installed files/drivers etc, showed "Starting Windows" text and then stopped with this error:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to protect your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer. If the screen appears again follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical info

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF789EA94, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x000000000

The PC is currently running Vista Home Basic.

The above error appears if I try to install XP Pro too so it's not a fault with the 2003 disc, and also tried the disc on another Dell system and all worked fine.

I have tried to run CHKDSK from the cmd prompt in Vista but it says I don't have the privileges (I'm an Adminstrator), it says it has to be run in "elevated mode".

Anybody have any ideas? I had grand designs on starting my 70-290 study today icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance

Charlie.

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What kind of disks are in this system?

Do you have drivers for them? If so then try installing them with the f6 option during the installation.

I would start there.

Also have a look here
  • VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for the reply

The disks are SATA. Any drivers would be already installed as it's straight out of the box today from Dell?

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Charlie.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    To run chkdsk in vista, you will need to right click the command prompt and select run as administrator. Then you should be able to run chkdsk.

Also if you can run the dell diag(press f12, i assume on the older ones it f12 to enter them) and run hard drive diag and see what it comes back with. To make sure the hard drive is ok.
  • dtgrdndtgrdn Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've actually seen this before with Dells and sata drives. You need the drivers and F6 during setup.

If you are installing Server 2003 it wiped the drive of any drivers installed by Dell.
    OH. I thought you said that it did this after attempting to install Server 2003. So it has never booted successfully into Windows.... even with the Dell Image on it?
    Thanks for all the replies, appreciated.
    dtgrdn wrote:
    I've actually seen this before with Dells and sata drives. You need the drivers and F6 during setup.

If you are installing Server 2003 it wiped the drive of any drivers installed by Dell.

Any idea which drivers I'd need? When to press F6? And it hasn't got a floppy drive, can they be installed during setup from my USB flash drive? It seems to come up as a boot option.

Thanks all, I'm at a bit of a loss here icon_sad.gif

Charlie.

Bullet, Vista is currently installed as Dell intended. I just want to boot to the Server 2003 CD, format, then install Server 2003.
  • dtgrdndtgrdn Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you boot from the Server 2003 CD it should start the install. If says at the beginning to press F6 if you have any third party disk drivers to install. You should be able to run them right off of the Dell driver cd.

this is the way I had to do it anyways
    Thanks for that mate, I'll take a look.

Finger's crossed lol

Cheers

Charlie.
    You can enter the Service Tag of that machine here and it should list all available downloads for this configuration.

Alternatively, you should have a Drivers Disk that shipped with your new PC.

As far as I know, you cannot load the drivers from the USB device. I recommend taking a floppy drive from another machine temporarily to use use during the installation.
    Another option would be to create a custom installation CD with the drivers you add using http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html
  • boyles23boyles23 Member Posts: 130
    I had to do this on our dell server, you have to hit F6 and install the RAID drivers from floppy. I had to install a floppy drive from another computer in the server just to install those drivers.

Jonathan
    Can't run the driver off the CD, setup asks for the driver to be on Drive A. After browsing the CD I don't think the mass storage device drivers are on the CD anyway.

I have a USB floppy from my laptop but I presume that won't work either. Looks like I'll have to take a floppy drive from another machine icon_sad.gif. Time to flex those A+ muscles lol.

Anybody know where I can actually get the drivers from? They don't appear to be on the CD and I can't find them on the Dell website (Dimension E520)

Not a good start to the 70-290, at least I'll remember all this for the exam though :)

Thanks all

Charlie.
    Could it be the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver"?

Charlie.
    After two days of googling and trawling the internet and buying 2 floppy drives I have sorted it.

Changed the SATA BIOS setting to "RAID autodetect". That was it.

Can't believe how much time I've wasted icon_sad.gif

Better get on with 70-290 now then icon_cool.gif

Thanks all

Charlie.