Options

Im not certain who I am......

Im about to go into the job market, some jobs I see and I think there lower than what I should now be aiming for and then I see other vacancies that I feel I would be out of my depth on. At present I work in a team of 2, me and the IT manager ( I deputise in her absense ). She tends to do/organise more project/new build work, I seem to do the rest. Anything from helping users over the phone to installing and configuring new domain controllers..

Now my quesion is can you let me know what you would consider 1,2,3 line support for the following jobs so I can gauge where I want to be looking at.

1. Helpdesk, users queries.
2. Setting up new users on the server/active directory/account control.
3. Installing domain controllers.
4. Installing site workgroup members servers.
5. Setting up routers at remote sites/remote assistance via 3rd party software.
6. Setting up published apps etc on citrix servers ( similar to terminal services )
7. Responsibily for setting up pc's to lan/printservers/etc
8. Setting up email/distribution/security groups lists in exchange/AD. File security/permissions in on servers.
9. Setup/installation of all new hardware/pc's/wan/lan setup.
10. Group policy setups, etc
11. Citrix server administration and configuration
12. Visits to around 40 sites, to deal with anything from printers not printing to restoring server backups to chasing network faults.

I currently hold 270,271,272,290, CCA ( citrix ) and hopefully ITIL foundation soon.

Main weak area may be DNS as havent started the 291 yet.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers.

Amy
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I would say you are in quite a strong position with your experience and your current certs. I don't think you mentioned how many years you have been working there or what other support you had before.

It really depends on the job market near you and getting your resume worded well. Finishing of the MCSE and maybe getting a CCNA would make you even stronger but I shouldn't think you'll have to worry much.

I imagine it would be quite nice for you to work in a much larger team of techies from various disciplines all working together. Be quite a refreshing novelty.
    Kam.
  • Options
    amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    oops..

nearly 7 years in this position

2 years proving support to client as a field/workshop engineer before that ( faultfinding, hardware replacement, servicing, pcconfig/setup a some networking exposure )

9 years before that for a corporation as unofficial 1st line departmental support/IT dept liason.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Apply for jobs you feel you can do, it is really that simple. Regardless of what certs and/or degrees are required for the job, if you feel you can do the job well then go for it. I have been offered IT jobs were I did not meet the cert, degree, or experience requirements listed in the job description. Good Luck!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    sthomas wrote:
    Apply for jobs you feel you can do, it is really that simple. Regardless of what certs and/or degrees are required for the job, if you feel you can do the job well then go for it. I have been offered IT jobs were I did not meet the cert, degree, or experience requirements listed in the job description. Good Luck!

That's good advice. They will either ignore you completely or offer you an interview. I will remember that one.
    Kam.