Options

Which is tougher OS or CORE?

martingmarting Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my OS exam this morning (could've been a better score, 554) and my core exam is scheduled for tomorow morning, i'm a little nervous on how ready I am for this. (I have'nt taken much time to study) I would really like you're input on this peeps.

BTW, I wish I would've stumbled upon these forums earlier, they're great.

Half way there,
Martin

Comments

• Options
    dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most people seem to think the OS part is harder. I actually did slightly better on the OS part than hardware. Sounds like you are trying to rush through this a bit. Study as much as possible before you take the test and you should be able to pass. For future exams I would make sure you feel confident before you go to write the test.

Good luck
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    For most people the OS tends to be harder, simply because a lot of us have worked with hardware a whole lot more than we've worked with in-depth OS tinkering. I was thrown for a loop on a couple of the registry and DOS-command questions on the OS exam, and ended up scoring lower (but still passing) on it, than the Core Hardware.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I was always told that the OS was more difficult than the hardware, I personally thought the opposite in that case. Just make sure you know some of the minute details to things with hardware, and SCSI was the one thing that worried me the most, just the aspect i had the least exposure to. Just read every question carefully, sometimes I'll read a question 5-6 times before i notice the strange wording. Best of luck to ya!
  • Options
    thanks for the response folks. I primarily do desktop support but when we encounter hardware problems we do need to troubleshoot because we outsource for hardware and all they do is replace parts until it works (not very efficient) so we try and pinpoint the problem so it gets revolved ASAP.

It's not that I dont feel confident in my abilities, it's the IRQ, DMA, I/O addresses that get me and also the scsi situation bothers me as I do not work in a server environment.

Also I encountered questions in the OS exam that had 5 choices and you must choose 4 to get the answer correct, I used deduction for thoses question but in hardware these could be much less obvious to me. Anyway you look at it the exam is scheduled and we'll what happens.

I'll let you know how it goes,
    Ciao
  • Options
    BookFellaBookFella Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me, the OS was harder simply because I was hit with some topics that I don't remember seeing on the objectives. But as long as you pass that's all that matters.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The exams are equal. What it depends on is your knowledge, experience and confidence with each objective.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Well I took the exam this morning as scheduled and passed, WOOT.

I got a better score than the OS exam, and for me, taking the OS exam yesterday was actually helpful, the fact that it was the same environment and they were both at the same time 9 am was good, also some of the questions (quite a bit) were on the OS exam, so if I felt I made a mistake (after re-reading my study material) I was able to correct them, cool.

I should receive my certificat in 2 weeks.
    Ciao,
    Martin
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

BTW - it may be a bit longer then 2 weeks for your first certificate from CompTIA...takes a bit to get into the system.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    williaawilliaa Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I take My Core This friday. And a lady helped me out and showed me a good way to remember the I/O addresses. Then once u get this down the the Irq's R easy...

Try This

From 1- 4 which will be com 1 -4 right....

K. They start like this. Write these down and remeber this and ur good.....

on one side write

And on the opposite side of the same page Write..

F
    F
    E
    E

It should look like this

3 F
    2 F
    3 E
    2 E

Then all u have is 8's and H's

3 F8H Com 1
    2 F8H Com 2
    3 E8H Com 3
    2 E8H Com 4

So if U can remember 3,2,3,2 2f's first, then the 2 E's its easy

so Com 2 you know will be a 2, then u have 2 F's so u know its a F then 8h simple....

I praised that lady for that Tip.....It helped me alot so i hope it does the same for U....

Avery