Finally back in the certification game

SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_redface.gif Hey everyone! I'm finally returning to the certification world after a two year hiatus. Last I posted, I was taking the A+ exam (which I passed) and starting a new contracting job. Well that contracting job has gone away and while I did get a lot of hands on experience with a windows enterprise network, I'm having a hard time finding a job as the only certification to backup my experience is... well... A+. So now as Lao Tzu once said "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." And here I am, taking my first step. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who has had two years of Systems Administration experience with a fair amount of networking sprinkled in. Does anyone have any suggestions as to study materials, etc? I've been to the local bookstore and am dreading the distinct possibility of sloshing through a big study guide with a lot of material I already know so if anyone knows of any resources for fairly experienced techs I would really appreciate it. I also hope to be a regular contributor in the near future and am glad to return to the techexams family. Thanks everyone!
Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out the Tech Notes here. If you are comfortable with everything you see in the Tech Notes then either book the exam (it's one of the easier ones) or buy an Exam Cram or something. The killers on this exam are all the cables, cable ends, cable distances, and the obscure stuff most of us never use like Apple Talk, Novell, and WAN stuff. The new wireless stuff can get you too.

Oh, and welcome back. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice sprkymrk. I've already downloaded and printed the technotes along with the good 'ol objectives list from Comptia. I was afraid that it was going to be exactly what you said: a test on obscure minutiae but I guess that's the nature of the beast sometimes. So what exam simulators would you suggest? Is Transcenders still top dog in this category?
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch