How much can I ask with these certs?

Hi All,

I have a Job oportunity in a small company in the US (FL). I actually work for one of the big 4 consulting companies as a Sr consultant, but in my home country.

My certs are as follow:

1.- MCSA/ MCSA SEC / MCSA Messaging / MCSE / MCSE Sec
2.- CCNA
3.- CompTIA Net+, Linux+ and Sec+

I have a lot of network and security background (more than 8 years)... my question is:

How much money should I expect to be offered? How's the job market for us there?

Any info would be appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Agustin.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have 8 years of net engineer and security, I wouldn't take less than 70-75k personally, unless you are just looking to get established somewhere in the US for a while. Coming from out of the US, I don't know if that would affect negatively what they would be willing to pay you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Thats great info... thanks!!!!

I guess since I might work from outside the US (with regular flights), they might offer a little less. Still I need to know how's the market there.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Hi All,
    How much money should I expect to be offered?

I will give you $300 right now for the CCNA & Sec+, just let me know. Thanks
    garv221 wrote:

Mmmm I don't get it... icon_cry.gif What did you mean?

Cheers,

A.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The same position will command a different salary in different parts of the country. For example, a $75K/year network engineering job in Los Angeles or Silicon Valley might only be paid $55K/year in a smaller market like Phoenix or Miami. To get an accurate idea of salary ranges for your level of education/certification/experience, you need to get opinions from people who have worked that job position in that geographical area. The best thing to do would be talk with high-tech recruiters (headhunters) which hire for your position in that area of the country.
    Thanks JD! That helps a lot... Thanks everyone!
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    garv221 wrote:
    Hi All,
    How much money should I expect to be offered?

lol Garv...
    Its not like were trading baseball cards or something. Ha ha,

But seriously, how great it must be to have earned all those certs...
    If it weren't for life id be around there.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    It all depends on what the company is willing to pay for a position. One of my co-workers make more money than I do, and he only has a few CompTIA certs, but he is very knowledgeable in Cisco routers, firewalls, switches, and other general netowrking hardware. I have a degree, and a few certs under my belt. His position just pays more, and he was hired for that position.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • buulambuulam Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you work for one of the big 4, i'd definitely be leveraging that in the negotiations.

either that, or try to get a transfer through your company to a city where they have a good practice in what you're into already, if you haven't looked into that yet
    Currently working on:
    CCNP (BCMSN, ONT, ISCW completed)
    HP ASE ProCurve Networking (BPRAN, Security completed)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    buulam wrote:
    if you work for one of the big 4,
    KMart, WalMart, Target, and Costco?

icon_wink.gif