Options

Server 2003 Interim Mode

redredredred Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Wish to ask does interim mode support universal groups, with or without any NT servers on the network. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know honestly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322692

It specifically mentions Universal Groups in W2K Mixed mode as a feature, but does not mention it in Interim.
    Domain functionality activates features that affect the whole domain and one of the following domains only. With each successive level increase, the domain functionality activates features of the previous domain level are included. The four domain functional levels, their corresponding features, and supported domain controllers are as follows.
    Windows 2000 mixed (default)
    • Supported domain controllers: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003
    • Activated features: local and global groups, global catalog support

Windows 2000 native
    • Supported domain controllers: Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003
    • Activated features: group nesting, universal groups, SidHistory, converting groups between security groups and distribution groups, you can raise domain levels by increasing the forest level settings

Windows Server 2003 interim
    • Supported domain controllers: Windows NT 4.0, Windows Server 2003
    • Supported features: There are no domain-wide features activated at this level. All domains in a forest are automatically raised to this level when the forest level increases to interim. This mode is only used when you upgrade domain controllers in Windows NT 4.0 domains to Windows Server 2003 domain controllers.

Windows Server 2003
    • Supported domain controllers: Windows Server 2003
    • Supported features: domain controller rename, logon timestamp attribute updated and replicated. User password support on the InetOrgPerson objectClass. Constrained delegation, you can redirect the Users and Computers containers.

However, it then states that:
    Domains that are upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 or created by the promotion of a Windows Server 2003-based computer operate at the Windows 2000 mixed functional level.

And in Windows 2000 mixed mode, Universal Groups are enabled for distribution groups, but disabled for security groups.

So I would guess the answer is probably no.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    I have google this question to the limit and still cant find a definite answer too. Thanks for the input anyway.
  • Options
    I also would like to refer to http://wps.prenhall.com/bp_mcse_70-290/0,9556,1551053-content,00.utf8.html

Look at the quiz, question number 2. According to the question and answer, interim mode seems to support universal groups?
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I just tested this in my virtual environment. I was initially running in mixed mode with no security universal groups. I then went into ADSI Edit and changed my forest to Windows Server 2003 Interim. I then went to create a group and Universal Security groups were greyed out. I verified in Domains and Trusts that I am indeed running in 2003 Interim Functional Level.

redred wrote:
    I also would like to refer to http://wps.prenhall.com/bp_mcse_70-290/0,9556,1551053-content,00.utf8.html

Look at the quiz, question number 2. According to the question and answer, interim mode seems to support universal groups?

It does support Distribution Universal Groups just as Mixed Mode functionality. It does not support Security Universal Groups.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Figured since most people cannot find actual documentation I would show some pics to alleviate your curiousness.

Using ADSI Edit to force your FFL into Windows Server 2003 Interim
    adsieditfm2.gif

Forest Functional Level
    ffluw0.gif

Universal Security Groups Not Allowed (Just like in 2000 Mixed)
    groupuyo8.gif

Universal Distribution Groups Allowed (Just like in 2000 Mixed)
    groupu2ca3.gif
  • Options
    Thanks icroyal! You have been of great help! Appreciate the pictures too!

I have also just found this article few minutes ago, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102278&seqNum=3&rl=1 which states that it doesnt support universal groups.

That test engine is a total fraud! :D
  • Options
    redred wrote:
    Thanks icroyal! You have been of great help! Appreciate the pictures too!

I have also just found this article few minutes ago, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102278&seqNum=3&rl=1 which states that it doesnt support universal groups.

That test engine is a total fraud! :D

No problem. Glad I could help. Also, you'll never see a question that vague on the real exam. For one, it says Universal Groups. There are 2 types of Universal groups: Distribution and Security. Distribution you can create in every functional level. Security you can create in every functional level other than mixed and 2003 interim.