route redistribution seems pointless!

JSW77JSW77 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
i am having trouble understanding the advantage to route redistribution as opposed to default routing. i understand that there can be either one-way or two-way route redistribution and that if you have one way redistribution, you set up a default route into the other AS/process, but why not just set up default routes in both directions? Especially considering that the seed metrics dont seem to have any advantage to them because no matter if a route is one,two,or ten hops away (in a rip environment for example) they ALL get the same seed metric when redistributed into the other protocol or AS. i just dont see the advantage of route redistribution over simple default routing at all...

Comments

• David_BrentDavid_Brent Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Route redistribution allows you to be more granular about the routes you inject in the other routing protocol.
    For instance security policies could prevent that certain networks are not allowed to be seen by others so when you use a default route that network is reachable when using redistribution you can filter that network out via an access-list
    Koen

CCNP CCDP MCSE MCSA:Messaging

"I’ve created an atmosphere where I’m a friend first, boss second. Probably entertainer third.” - David Brent