Options

Well Known Ports

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
Is the list from my Sybex book good enough to know? Or, for instance in the TechExam quiz... do some of those come up in the exam too? LDAP, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_the_GoonBob_the_Goon Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wasn't tested on any other port numbers apart from the ones in the Sybex book. However, I may have just got lucky so it wouldn't hurt to learn the extra ones on the techexams practice exam.

The official exam objectives from CompTia only mention the ones in the Sybex book so if anymore do pop up into the exam and catch you out then you can just blame their incompetancy. icon_evil.gif

Bob da Goon
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I quote the following from the Network+ objectives:

2.11 Define the function of TCP / UDP (Transmission Control Protocol / User Datagram Protocol) ports.
    2.12 Identify the well-known ports associated with the following commonly used services and protocols:
    • 20 FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
    • 21 FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
    • 22 SSH (Secure Shell)
    • 23 Telnet
    • 25 SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol)
    • 53 DNS (Domain Name Service)
    • 69 TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol)
    • 80 HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
    • 110 POP3 (Post Office Protocol version 3)
    • 119 NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol)
    • 123 NTP (Network Time Protocol)
    • 143 IMAP4 (Internet Message Access Protocol version 4)
    • 443 HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure)

May I suggest that the key to port # is identification, not reasoning/explaination, there isnt any "understanding" to why DNS is 53 and not 52. Well, maybe there is a reason, but not that we're concerned with.

(actually, DNS & FTP maybe an exception because they both require more than 1 port, so you do in fact have to understand this before you can identify their presence)

good luck~
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    TendronTendron Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the one in the book is good enough. That's what I went by when I did my exam today. I don't think they would throw any other ports at you.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As long as you know all of these ports for the exam, you should do just fine:
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

All kidding aside, the others made good suggestions. Good luck on your exam!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks