Options

Photoshop - elements?

Mike_twMike_tw Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

I work for a company building them a website. I need photoshop for this work.. i have been doing it from home with my icon_wink.gif copy. I need photoshop at work.. they have told me they will pay for what i need but i see the price of photoshop CS2 is a whooping £800+ (1600$).

A much cheaper version is available for £59 called photoshop elements. I've never used this so i dont know how good it is. Has anyone else used this? I need to be able to edit images and use some effects. Is this "elements" copy any good? I dont fancy breaking the news about the £800 price to the company. So, is elements adequate for my needs?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I was faced with a similar issue a couple years back... I needed Photoshop for our website and cable channel. I ended up picking up Photoshop Elements 3.0. Honestly, I actually prefer the easier to use interface with Elements...
    For my uses I have been able to do everything with Elements that I can do with the "Professional" version. My understanding is that there are really only a few tools missing from Elements, I guess they were tools I never used anyway.

Hope that is of some help to you.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You get what you pay for, Photoshop is professional quality. Since work is paying why wouldn't you get Photoshop? I am currently using Studio 8 and Creative suite 2
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    For web design work, I'd recommend checking out Macromedia Fireworks. It's got the same functionality as Photoshop, but it's a bit more geared towards the web, and it's going to be much, much cheaper. (Snatch it up quick, though, since Macromedia is now owned by Adobe, and the actual Macromedia studio may be swallowed up by the Creative Suite, with Photoshop replacing Fireworks altogether.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I think i may opt for the elements version It seems to have what i need. My work wont be that graphic intensive... i just need a photoshop to be able to edit things out etc. My school has a copy on their computers so i will try that out tomorrow before buying.

Thanks
  • Options
    Whats the catch here -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=photoshop

One has "-en" and is a bit more than the other? Whats the difference? both are the same version?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Mike_tw wrote:
    Whats the catch here -

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=photoshop

One has "-en" and is a bit more than the other? Whats the difference? both are the same version?

Write to the retailer and ask. That's not an official price from Adobe, so whatever the reason is for the price differences, you'd have to ask ebuyer.com.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You could download the trial version of Adobe Elements and see if it fits your needs.
    icon_arrow.gifwww.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/tryout.html
    It's really not comparable to Photoshop though, but Photoshop is a professional product and overkill for many users.

A good and popular alternative to Photoshop is PaintShop Pro:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1155872554948
  • Options
  • Options
    how does it compare to adboce software?
    It's much cheaper ;)

You can find a link to the Trial version on the page I linked to above, so I suggest trying them out and make your own comparison as it really depends a lot on what exactly you want to do with it.
  • Options
    I downloaded it:) It took a bit to get used to... years of using photoshop lol.

I will see tomorrow what elements is like and then i will deicde. Does elements have layer effects like outer glow... inner glow.. etc

Tools i need:

magic wand
    slecetion tools
    smudge
    layer effects (above)
    and just the basic set of tools

This is why i wouldnt pay £450 for CS when i wont need most of the features.

I'll pit PSP vs elements tomorrow and let you know of the winner ;)

Thanks
  • Options