Options

Outlook profile

lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm in the process of upgrading a few remaining W2K PC's with newer PC's with XP Pro SP2. We use a corporate image, and are running Outlook 2003 on a 2003 Exchange Server. I have one PC that, after I transferred his .pst files, found that he can't move files from his inbox to his folders. When I asked him, he said it was doing that before on the W2K box, so I assumed he had a corrupted .pst file somewhere (he's got 12 .pst's!) I ran scanpst.exe on all of them, fixed the errors, but still get the same results. The largest file is 1.5GB, but most are in the 5 - 10MB range.

If it matters, the PC's are P4, 3Ghz, 1GB RAM, and 80GB drives.

Any ideas? icon_confused.gif [/b]
Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I seem to remember an issue with moving messages to PST files from older version of Outlook within Outlook 2003, something to do with the compatibility mode (PST files in Oulook 97-2002 compatibility as opposed to Outlook 2003 compatibility). It's been a while since I've done significant client side support so I can't remember the details, but maybe that will help you.

Blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    1.5 gb is within the alloted size of thwe old pst files (pre outlook 2003) now there is realistically no limit in 2003 because it allows a pst to be something like 33 terrabytes..

if you've already run scan pst run it again make sure it doesn't find more errrors because it often will.

if that fails you cna try a new oultlook profile but I'm not confidnet that will really help much.

I've nebver seen someone with 12 pst's but there may be a limit on how many pst's outlook handles well....consolidating some of them could help.

as a last resort creat a new pst for him to move data into and leave the old ones static
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, smallguy, I'll try that, and I'm also leaning towards a full spyware/adware scan. I still have his old PC, so he can work off of it if need be.

Thank you too, Blargoe, but I forgot to mention that he was already using Outlook 2003.

As for the 12 .pst's, this guy has saved the invention of dirt to his files! So, I'm in a "I've been here for so long, now I'm just waiting for the pension" type situations. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    laneh wrote:
    Thanks, smallguy, I'll try that, and I'm also leaning towards a full spyware/adware scan. I still have his old PC, so he can work off of it if need be.

Thank you too, Blargoe, but I forgot to mention that he was already using Outlook 2003.

As for the 12 .pst's, this guy has saved the invention of dirt to his files! So, I'm in a "I've been here for so long, now I'm just waiting for the pension" type situations. icon_rolleyes.gif

Could you possialby convince him to burn them to a DVD since from what you described aboe they might be static files and just create him a new PST to start filling it up
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    When you say he cannot move files to his PST what do you mean?

Is he getting an error?
    Version of outlook is not compatable. Outlook is unable to expand the set of folders?

Can you open the PST file itself? (I mean just expanding it and seeing whats in it)

If so is it possible to create a 2003 PST and copy them from old to new?

If you can let us know 'why' he cannot move them a light bulb may come on! icon_idea.gif

[edit - also set the permissions to PST file for another user and test to cancel out problems with that machine/profile etc]
    [edit2 (whilst i burn food ) icon_lol.gif Are there any add-ons running within 2K3?]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whatsamipuffuggle? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    Whatsamipuffuggle? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
    Rather than posting and giving the SPAM a higher ranking in the recent posts view, use the REPORT function instead (the red rimmed triangle with ! in the middle at the bottom of the post user information).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!