Options

Fumming

oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
Had an interview today for build and test job, it was the shortest interview Iv'e ever had, about seven minutes. Walked in interviewer asked me how old I was I said 51 , he pulled a face and said most of the blokes that worked there are in their 20's would I have a problem with that ? That they were a young company with a young outlook , name and address, which was on the c.v in front of him and that was it.
If he had said that I was to old at least I could have got up and hit him and left feeling better , as it was I left *ucking fumming icon_evil.gif
So the c.v has my entire work history try adding up.....prick
Try til it hurts then try some more

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry about that. You might have a discimination case with the EEOC, but it's probably not worth your time and trouble.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/discrimination/agedisc.htm
    The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects certain applicants and employees 40 years of age and older from discrimination on the basis of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, or terms, conditions or privileges of employment. The ADEA is enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Oops, just noticed your in the UK. I wonder if there is anything similar there?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Give him a brolly up the bum - we "older" techs are coming into our own, once people realize having an iPod or Bluetooth molded to your ear doesn't make you a tech, just silly looking. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif
    Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Similar law passed here in the UK in Oct 06. You should look into it. You can sue him for that now :)

I'm 42 and I know if that just happened to me, I would ! Really. Time these prats learned a lesson.

It wouldn't go to court. They would settle I bet for a nice little bonus toward your upcoming summer holidays.

Don't let em get away with it. Basic fact is he said those things whether he did not directly say you were too old and your not allowed to do that now. Any small claims magistrate would see the inference to that they thought you were too old which is now against age discrimination law.
    Kam.
  • Options
    laneh wrote:
    Give him a brolly up the bum - we "older" techs are coming into our own, once people realize having an iPod or Bluetooth molded to your ear doesn't make you a tech, just silly looking. icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

heheh
    Kam.
  • Options
    oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    Well being older and more mature I have had a drink and calmed down a bit. icon_sunny.gif One door closes another one opens , you learn that with age .
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It always cracks me up when I see and hear people talking about their 'young' companies and their 'young' culture. I hit one of those when I was job seeking and promptly stood up and walked out of the interview. The guy chased me out and asked what my problem was .... I explained that with an attitude like that his 'young' company was not likely going to be around long enough to become an 'old' one icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    oldtech says
    One door closes another one opens , you learn that with age .

You got that right!

I'm 60 and work with 20's and 30's. After I had worked with this one multi-mooded 28-year-old a while, he said to me,"You're livelier than I thought you'd be." This is one of the brighter of the group. I don't know what he thought I would be.

He is the same one who could not understand how I could be on the phone with users all day, and still be laughing and joking with them at the end of the day.

Indeed, it comes with age.

Anyway, hang in there oldtech. We've just started!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    When I was young and first started in IT I had this old guy who I respected for what he knew but used to really wind me up. Whenever I used to ask how he did something he would always reply "Don't worry.. when you grow up you'll be able to do this too...." smartass! Eventually it worked out I moved on before he did and then later merged companies back together and he got my old job mwuahahah... smartass!

Still, we were late for a meeting once and he "just had to fix something first" before we left. click .. click .. click up comes a page of hex which he then scrolls through and says "ahhhh there it is.. duh ... typo what an idiot." .. Theres me standing behind him jaw on the floor!

Never forget that.
    Kam.