Options

Job hunting advice after going back to school

gins007gins007 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Job hunting advice /opinions wanted. I have 5 years of help desk experience and was laid off in 2004. Went back to school in 2005 and this past December I completed a second 2 year degree in Information Assurance & Computer Forensics. My first Associated was a computer science degree. I also have A+, Network+ and Security + certifications. I am now job hunting and have mostly sent resumes out for Help Desk support positions. I would really like to get into Network or System Administration which would eventually lead me to Network Security. That was the main focus of the Computer Forensics Degree. Being that I’ve had 5 years of Help desk Experience and jobs that are listed only required one year am I at this point over qualified? I have had about 6 interviews or so since January but none has actually leaded to a job. I don’t really have much Network Admin experience except creating, deleting and troubleshooting network access. Since its early in the game I wanted to reevaluate my situation. I live in the Seattle Metro Area and I know for a fact that the job market is better then it was 2 years ago. Opinions and Suggestions would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You need to get your foot in the door. I geuss you must be falling down at interview because 5 years helpdesk dealing with users should easily get you into those minimum 1 year requirement jobs. For those you simply need to be able to use a computer and not clam up when the phone rings.

The thing is, with the degree time and especially what your studying, why the hell do you want to go back to helpdesk? It's like there was no point in you studying at all.

Forensics is huge and really interesting! I have a friend who's son is studying that and we are both in awe of the things he tells us he is studying. (we've both studied degrees in our day) Seriously sneek beeky stuff. First day they were told that at least 10% of them WILL become criminal oriented hackers with what they would be taught and then given a phone number to ring any time of the day or week if approached by someone out of the blue offering mega gifts (money, laptops, even cars! ... to a 16/17/18 year old they are very persuasive) or asking strange questions about the course they are on. (those still in the dark about the real truth about modern internet crime wake up!)

Why not head to your local police dept IT? They would love you.
    Kam.