Options

2003 server 180 day Eval - worth a bash?

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

Will an eval version of Win 2k3 server do what I need it to in order to pursue MS certs such as the 290? I can pick up a 180 day eval version of Win 2k3 for £1.99

Is it worth just purchasing this as opposed to the real thing for self study and what are the limitations of the eval software if any?

It is purely for self study and I do not use Windows servers directly as we have a Novell/XP network where I work.

Cheers

Malc

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There aren't really any limitations to the Evaluation version other than it timebombing after 180 days of use. You can read my thoughts here regarding using the evaluation edition for your MCSE track.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    The evaluation software IS the same software just only valid for 180 days.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx[/url]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is the same as the full version only it expires in 180 days. You can download the trial version for free.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses guys, I did discover the Eval was free, thanks though.

I've ended up purchasing a full version of Enterprise Server 2003 at a relatively good price. Will keep the eval versions in mind though

Thanks again

Malc
  • Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A R2 version of EE that came with one of my MS books I noticed had to be activated which was very annoying. Not sure if the same for older releases?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Treg wrote:
    A R2 version of EE that came with one of my MS books I noticed had to be activated which was very annoying. Not sure if the same for older releases?

Yes, all the trials that come with the books have to be activated. We used the 180-day trials of Server 2003 Enterprise in my classes. After a few reinstalls, we had to call Microsoft to activate the trial. There was no problem, since we explained that we were students at a college, and we were using the classes as part of our MCSE studies.

As for functionality. . . the trial editions of Microsoft's products are designed to be evaluated by potential customers. They pack as much functionality (in most cases they give you the full functionality) into the trial, so you should have more than enough features in the 180-day trial of Server 2003 Enterprise to study for your MCSE exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.