Options

Book vs PDF?

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Im looking at a few books to get just one small question.

Company i work for have a deal with a online book libary and I can get some of the books in PDF.

In your own opinions would you rather have PDF (free through company) or pay out your own pocket for the actual book. I can see advantages and disadvantages with both just wondered what others thought.
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• Options
    TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No way i'd study for an exam through a PDF.

I like to underline things and refer back to sections quick through flipping pages, rather than scrolling on a pdf.

If you get a book they usually supply a pdf as well.

But then again, it always comes down to cost and what you can afford.
  • Options
    yeah i was leaning towards the actual books myself.

However atleast if i have a look at PDF's i can save getting useless 'doorstops' icon_lol.gif .

Though that would mean i would have to replace the HDD im using at the moment!
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    For on the move, ie traveling so using a laptop or PDA, then I use the .pdf version, however I prefer a handheld book.

-Ken
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd rather the book from the company, i never had the luxury of having a paper back books for my studies. Ebooks all the way to ccie i'm hoping!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I have lots and lots of PDF/CHMs (20gb roughly - A colleague is a BT fanatic) and a couple or ten real books. I find it much easier to read the books than I do going through an ebook. It's not that I make any notes on the pages or anything but it just seems more natural for the information to flow in.

Also, You can read a real book anywhere and don't have to be sat in front of the screen for the whole time you are reading. I suppose if I had a tablet or a little PDA I could do the same as a real book but my eyesight is no longer bionic due to age and extensive early support of the old orange phosphorescent screens in my early IT days. ( you could actually close your eyes and still read what was on the screen as is was still glowing on your retinas - why we have screen savers now. Before a switched off monitor would still show up the main menu of common applications as that is where it would sit mostly)

Also, sat in front of the screen reading it is very easy to be distracted with email, looking up ideas quickly in google, a quick play of solitaire, etc.
    Kam.
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I prefer books, I can read them on the train into work and during my lunch. It also gives me a nice break from the screen!
  • Options
    I like the books that come with a pdf version on an included disc; Best of both worlds.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone is going to give me a free ebook, I will take it, but I prefer to do most of my reading from paper books. Easier on the eyes. I will print out some of the PDFs and have ask our secretary to bind them.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I read books a whole lot better then PDFs. Now for a quick reference...PDF's are helpful, but if I want to really read the material...I prefer to study from a book (sit back when reading..so book is easier. If you sit forward reading...then PDF may be easier).

Really depends on your likes.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I've been reading PDF of a book ive ordered while im waiting for it to arrive which has been useful during lunchs etc (i havent had to carry the book from work and back)

However using a PDF last night while coding wasnt much use as I had to switch between screens which became a pain in the a$$. icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    paper for commute / pdf for reading at work