Options

Network+ after CCNA question

M_BoydM_Boyd Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know that network+ is meant to be alot easier than the CCNA (which is what im doing now).

My question is once I have the CCNA is it

a)worth bothering with at all - I think it is a lifetime cert, is that true ? - just for another networking related cert to have on the CV.

b)would I even have to study for it in any capacity ? or would it be like doing standard grade maths after passing higher maths ?

c) Someone said employers tend to overestimate the network+ exam so would it be worth the £££ doing it....???

Comments

• Options
    spanishmoonspanishmoon Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMHO Network+ is worth the time and money. Preparing for it (not incredibly tough if you have a good networking background) will cause you to learn about things you don't use on a daily basis but may come across in the wild. Also, it (coupled with A+) can be used as a Microsoft elective (if you are so inclined).
    SuCasa.jpg
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I think after reading the CCNA on your resume, people won't even notice the net+. CCNA is pretty respected, so it should be enough by iteself.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    i agree with ghent.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Im actually going against Ghent on this one. Although he makes an excellent point, spanishmoon has a better point. With the A+ and N+ certifications, you can use that as an elective for your MCSE or MCSA. That is, only if you planned on going for your microsoft certifications.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree. If you are certain you are going to take the CCNA (or already have it) taking Net+ is only useful if you are going to do an MCSE track... But, I think it is more efficient (time, money and knowledge-wise) to forget about the expensive Net+ (again only if you are CCNA already) and take a regular cheaper MS exam about something else than basic networking and use that one as the elective. 80-90% of the material from Network+ is the same as the CCNA INTRO exam (which is the first of the two CCNA exam, hence about half of complete CCNA). The CCNA INTRO exam is more up to date though...

a.) Ok, it is a life-time cert, but I don't think that alone is worth taking the NET+ besides CCNA. Although your CCNA will expire after 3 years (unless you recertify with CCNA or a 'higher' exam such as a CCNP exam) the knowledge won't... you will still have passed the CCNA exam... for life. I bet I won't have trouble explaining that to an employer.

b.) Reading (as in completely memorizing) the free version of our Network+ TechNotes should suffice. The rest should be doable with your CCNA knowledge and plain logic. One thing that is not part of the CCNA exam and most study material, but is in the Network+ exam is 'how stations are attached to a network' (physically) (e.g. 10base5 vampire tab, 10base2 T-connector, fiber connectors, MSUAs, MUAs etc.)

c.) Again, I think the differences and similarities between Net+ and CCNA is easily explained to a potential employer.

Also, as I mentioned in several other posts, personally I think Network+ is the level of networking knowledge one should have before starting with CCNA. But now that there are two paths available for CCNA (1 exam or two exams) I would recommend those that haven't got the required networking knowledge start with the INTRO exam of the 2 exams-path. I'm saying this mainly because I've seen too many CCNAs that knew perfectly how to configure a router, but had no idea what happened on the rest of the internetwork. As always, having a good basic foundation is essential.
  • Options
    Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    In reading the webmaster's post, I noticed that 80-90% of CCNA is already covered in net+? I was leaning for MCSA after network+ but now I don't know.
    Is the usual path comptia, microsoft, then cisco certs?
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    In reading the webmaster's post, I noticed that 80-90% of CCNA is already covered in net+? I was leaning for MCSA after network+ but now I don't know.
    Is the usual path comptia, microsoft, then cisco certs?

That is not what I posted, not 80-90% of CCNA, but 80-80% of CCNA INTRO exam, which is in turn only half of CCNA.
  • Options
    carbunklecarbunkle Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can pass CCNA network+ would be really easy. If you have the extra money I would do it. I can only make your resume look better.