Can't connect to a network share with a long password

dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a problem I can't seem to figure out. I use Norton Ghost to image our computers. I store all the images on a network share which I connect to using the net use command. Right now I have a 10 character password and it works fine. We now have changed our password policy so everyone must have a 14 character password. I have tried connecting to the share with a user account that has a 14 character password and it will not work.

I use a bootdisk from http://www.netbootdisk.com I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you notice, when you selected a 14 character password (or longer) I think you got a notice that it will be incompatible with older versions of Windows. When you boot from a DOS boot disk, guess what? You're going back to the old LANMAN authentication.

I had a similar problem when we began to require (via Group Policy) only the newer, stronger NTLM v2 across the domain. My network boot disks that I used to map network drives the way you do also quit working.

You might try using exactly a 14 character password, because I thought the limitation was for passwords OVER 14 characters, but that is going strictly by my (bad) memory. Other possibilities might include an exception to the rule for the ghost account, or even convincing "he powers that be" that 14 character passwords might end up in weaker overall security due to an increased number of users writing them down. If you want the password policy to not affect the account you use for ghosting, go to the properties of the GPO and try to give the Ghost user account "deny" permissions on the Apply Policy.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You were right DOS can accept up to 14 characters. The password I tried was 15 characters. Our password policy is set so it has to be at least 14 characters so I should be able to still connect to my network share when if I change the password to 14 characters.

Thanks for the help.