Options

ready for daylight savings??

dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
For people in the US daylight savings has been changed to this weekend!!

Is everyone ready?

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The world is ending!
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Aaaargh! icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Yea things are lookin good for Sunday! Took long enough to get all the patches to work...
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
    I loathe DST!!!
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drunken_smilie.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    The new change in the start of DST (second Sunday in March) and the end of DST (first Sunday in November ) is due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005. A study will be performed to see if DST actually saves energy. If it is found to save energy, we may eventually have year-round DST with no change. If no energy savings are recognized, the USA may switch back to the previous DST start/end dates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm ready but some of the vendors that support us apparently aren't.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Option 2: DST update

For customers who prefer to have a hotfix, Microsoft lets customers purchase all DST 2007 hotfixes for $4,000, for affected Microsoft products in Extended Support by using an Extended Hotfix Support contract. Customers will only be charged a single fee of $4,000 to obtain all hotfixes needed to update their systems for DST 2007.

I found this insane!!! I almost fell out of my chair laughing. Maybe I should try to get a $4,000 bonus for creating a patch for our older systems. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Microsoft isn't the only DST problem. It seems that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange also needs patching--unfortunately, the first patch released not only doesn't fully work, but it screws up the BlackBerry. Anyone having a fun time patching Exchange Servers specifically for BlackBerry users?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jdmurray wrote:
    The new change in the start of DST (second Sunday in March) and the end of DST (first Sunday in November ) is due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005. A study will be performed to see if DST actually saves energy. If it is found to save energy, we may eventually have year-round DST with no change. If no energy savings are recognized, the USA may switch back to the previous DST start/end dates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Funny, back in 2005 around the time of this Act, there was a study released (source is not turning up quick tonight) pointing out that people started getting up EARLIER to get to work so were actually using more electricity (lights, cooking...microwave/toaster etc.., hair dryers, etc...) just to make their day.

I miss living in South Bend.....we didn't have this DST crap
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
    jdmurray wrote:
    Microsoft isn't the only DST problem. It seems that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange also needs patching--unfortunately, the first patch released not only doesn't fully work, but it screws up the BlackBerry. Anyone having a fun time patching Exchange Servers specifically for BlackBerry users?

Very much so, we had to reconfigure several BlackBerry in our enterprise from the first patch, and ended up doing a manual DST update from blackberry site. The main concern in our enterprise is the Outlook calendar issue. Have a feeling our Help Desk is going to get bombarded with calls why they were 1 hour late to there appointments!! Typical of users to address the issue after it's already happened.
    1's and 0's
  • Options
    neo468 wrote:
    The main concern in our enterprise is the Outlook calendar issue. Have a feeling our Help Desk is going to get bombarded with calls why they were 1 hour late to there appointments!!
    I know one site where they decided it was easier to delete all Outlook calendar appointments scheduled after March 10th and re-schedule the appointments on the 11th rather than updating Outlook on every computer.

Also, no patches were released by Microsoft on this last "Patch Tuesday," although there are (at least) five zero-day exploits for Windows and Office that are still not patched. MS supposedly skipped this month because of the DST patching problems, and they are giving the world's IT departments time to catch up.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Reminds me of when we introduced the Euro and all systems had to be patched. We also received stickers to put over the Guilder sign on the keyboard. Kinda like a small millenium bug but less scary.
  • Options
    On my way in to work this morning I notice that all of the banks that had time/temp on their signs had the wrong time!!! Must be a manual update icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Webmaster wrote:
    Kinda like a small millenium bug but less scary.

GAH! Now that was a complete farce! Planes dropping out of the sky, all your money disapearing from the bank, no electricity, would your car suddenly stop! What a joke that was.

Very sneaky plan by the pc/os manufacturers that was. They raked it in along with old age pensioners who got paid a fortune to come in and patch old legacy systems that were sitting at the core of many modern systems. I expect they were laughing all the way to the bingo hall after that.
    Kam.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    From researching and having to patch clients and servers, I am fully convinced that MS is the worst operating system and company associated with IT.

I am still running Exchange 2000 (upgrade 07' this summer) exchange 03 and 07 had simple install patches. MS wanted $4,000 for an Exchange 2000 patch which was free for 03 and 07 users. The DST help site was a **** to read with more information than I gave a **** about, complicating the process. I believe they were charging $4,000 to Exchange 2000 users simply to tax them for not upgrading or convincing them now to upgrade after this mess. I got my server updated with some .exe's MS had available but I'm sure not everyone figured it out. It was a horrible process, with little explanation and required me to edit a few log files including copying users from the error log into the active log to ensure all users were updated (instructions not on MS site) and then run a batch file created. I really hope for a better operating system from a better company in the future. This was it for me with MS... I cannot stress how much I absolutely despise MS Windows and everything they stand for, I even hate Steve Ballmer's penguin shaped bald head.
  • Options
    dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    neo468 wrote:
    The main concern in our enterprise is the Outlook calendar issue. Have a feeling our Help Desk is going to get bombarded with calls why they were 1 hour late to there appointments!!
    I know one site where they decided it was easier to delete all Outlook calendar appointments scheduled after March 10th and re-schedule the appointments on the 11th rather than updating Outlook on every computer.

We were very close to doing the same. The patch for Outlook was crap it did not fix any of the re-occurring appointments properly.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    dubbs112 wrote:
    jdmurray wrote:
    neo468 wrote:

We were very close to doing the same. The patch for Outlook was crap it did not fix any of the re-occurring appointments properly.

I found the Outlook patch to fix some problems but create new problems that didn't exist before the patch was applied! Many people that we support decided that they would rather recreate their calendars instead of having the patch applied.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    garv221 wrote:
    From researching and having to patch clients and servers, I am fully convinced that MS is the worst operating system and company associated with IT.

I got my server updated with some .exe's MS had available but I'm sure not everyone figured it out. It was a horrible process, with little explanation and required me to edit a few log files including copying users from the error log into the active log to ensure all users were updated (instructions not on MS site) and then run a batch file created.
    This was exactly my experience. Total BS, which was for the most part undocumented. Did you ever read the Exchange team's DST blog? Oh good God.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    blargoe wrote:
    garv221 wrote:

I got my server updated with some .exe's MS had available but I'm sure not everyone figured it out. It was a horrible process, with little explanation and required me to edit a few log files including copying users from the error log into the active log to ensure all users were updated (instructions not on MS site) and then run a batch file created.
    This was exactly my experience. Total BS, which was for the most part undocumented. Did you ever read the Exchange team's DST blog? Oh good God.

lol yes! I started with that site after becoming extremely angry with MS's site. I also surfed a lot of forums and tried cyphering random users posts to find the correct answer. This was completely uncalled for, I even seen registry editing for Exchange! lol

I noticed a lot of people were getting hung up and using the wrong tzmove.exe and not using the one from Outlook or copying the tzmove.exe to the program files directory but not copying the associated ini file with it...I'm sorry you had to experience this also, what was the major help to you?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm still fixing the problem... more and more W2K popping out the DTS problems......

The Win XP is OK with a simple update, but W2K have to install on the workstation to make work well. I tried update the from the group policy... nope.. not working.

I'm pushing to get rip of all the W2K..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Last post Mar 19 2007
    Your post Mar 18 2008

I think you have more than a single DST hour to deal with :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    haha I didn't even catch that...I read the entire post without looking at the dates
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    I disabled auto DST switching on my W2K servers last year and manually changed them over this year. W2K is still too useful to give up on.
  • Options
    The problem is some of the in-house program and database program need to run on W2K because they still working on the new project.

So, I cannot get rip of everything. However, as long as I found those W2K workstation and not mission essential to the company. They are out of the door.
  • Options
    My senior tech still try to find a better way to do it. Currently, they are still using TZEdit everytime when DST shift.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you run Microsoft's own DST update VBscript for 2000? It should permanently fix the problem.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?