Options

I think I got the job?/second interview?

BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
I posted a bit before about after I followed up with the IT manager after my initial face to face interview.

Well, yesterday I got a voicemail and then an email from him afterwards since I was at work I didn't actually talk to him.

In the voice mail said He hoped I was still interested in the job, and he wanted me to come in again to discuss details. Sit down and have a meeting with the two guys and discuss more about the job and finalize things.

So... I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I got the job... which would be awesome. Couple of questions for you guys...

What should I ask about the job... I'll paste the description below. Also, in the first interview they said that its 24/7 support but don't worry about it (eh?) because they deal with the bigger issues. He said we'll do a lot of remote connection with netmeeting to fix people's computers.

Here's the job desc:

Provide 1st level help desk support to Company employees

· Diagnose problems and determine resolution related to general IT platform related to PC hardware, network, operating system, and printing

· Troubleshoot software issues related to web-based logistics applications, general office software, and internal AES application

· Maintain internal help desk issue tracking system

· Development of training materials or presentations

· Configure new PCs and reconfigure problem PCs

Key Job Skills:

· Experience providing 1st level help desk support to local and remote users

· Basic understanding of the freight forwarding / global logistics business

· Strong verbal phone skills (this position spends about 75% of each day on the phone)

Required Technical Knowledge:

· Windows 2000/XP Desktop Operating System

· Microsoft Office including Outlook Email Client

· Internet Explorer

· PC hardware

· Printers and network print sharing

· Basic TCP/IP Networking

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Grats. Because you showed a keen interest in the position, it looks like you have the job.

As to what you should ask, I don't think you need to ask very much. Be carefull about what you do ask at this delicate stage or it might sway him away from you right at the last minute. Things like when pay day is, how many holidays, how much training, what is the notice period, etc can be asked when your on the job.

Keep fairly quite though happy and excited and then just wait for them to offer you the job hopefully. Certainly finalise salary and start date.

And good luck in the new job.

Work hard, learn all you can and keep you bum on the seat for at least two years.
    Kam.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, this job looks like it will be good experience for you. Good Luck
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I got the job!!!

Only negative is that its a 50 mile drive... about an hour on the expressway, probably more in rush hour... but this company sounds amazing... I got hired in at 36k, with yearly reviews and bonuses based on company's profits. Plus the manager is really adamant on training and keeping the salary with what I am worth because he doesn't want me to get experience and then get a higher offer somewhere else.

I start as soon as my background check goes through and I work through my 2 weeks notice.
  • Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Congratulations!!!!

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats
    I'm having an awful time finding work
    icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    Congratz!!
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Mind if I ask the general location (in other words, what the commute is like as it varies from big city to big city).

icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Its Itasca, a suburb near o'hare airport by chicago... I'm in NW indiana, so... I was taking a train into chicago, but no sort of public transportation runs to my new place... so I'll have to drive.
  • Options
    BigTone wrote:
    Its Itasca, a suburb near o'hare airport by chicago... I'm in NW indiana, so... I was taking a train into chicago, but no sort of public transportation runs to my new place... so I'll have to drive.

Yeah, 50 miles by Chicago is easy 90 minutes in good weather.
    That looks like a killer drive. I used to live in Hinsdale (off route 83, you can still see my old house from the highway as you pass) back in the mid 70's and in St Charles in the 80's.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    That looks like a killer drive. I used to live in Hinsdale (off route 83, you can still see my old house from the highway as you pass) back in the mid 70's and in St Charles in the 80's.

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have a drive ahead of me. One good thing is the start time is 9 am, so some of the crazy drivers will be off the road. When I've been leaving around 9 to go there to interview I've made it in an hour, so I'll probably leave around 7-7:30 and go into work. I'm really looking forward to the experience I'm going to get... The IT manager really sounds like he likes to keep his people in the company and move them up.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    sprkymrk wrote:
    BigTone wrote:

90 mins there is also 90 minutes back after you've done a days work. Not gonna be pretty. Have a long term goal not to stay there too long unless you like it a lot or, if you do, maybe relocate closer.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Kaminsky wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:
    BigTone wrote:

90 mins there is also 90 minutes back after you've done a days work. Not gonna be pretty. Have a long term goal not to stay there too long unless you like it a lot or, if you do, maybe relocate closer.

Back in 91-92 I had a 2 hour commute to a job site. Did it about 6 months and that was all I could stand.

My dad, however, did a 90 minute commute from the western Chicago subburbs to the south side of Chicago near Indiana for about 14 years. icon_eek.gif