Can't ping server IP address

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm playing around with Win 2k3 server as this is my next project after the CCNA. I currently have an issue where I can't ping my win 2k3 server from any host on the network, but I CAN ping other hosts in my my lab FROM the server.

I have no access lists currently on the router or switch that I have the machines running off.

The request times out

Took the server machine off the network and replaced with an XP client and assigned the same IP address/gateway etc and this pings fine and get 4 replies.

I've not got as far as setting DNS up yet so I'm pinging purely over IP. Are there any settings in 2k3 server to deny icmp ping requests hitting the server?

Anybody got any other ideas or what else do you need to know to go any further with this?

Malc

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    W2K3 server has a firewall, though it's not normally enabled by default.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Malcy,

Did you enable routing and remote access by chance? Like Sprkymrk suggested, that might have enabled the firewall.
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everlife/Sparkymrk,

Thanks for the replies, I think I must've enabled Routing and Remote Access when I went through one of the Windows "manage my server" wizards as it appears to be running. I just went with most of the defaults I think.

Could either of you advise this Novell Monkey how to disable RRA?

I just want a basic machine with a static IP for the next week or so until I sit my CCNA, then I can have some proper fun with this machine :D

Thanks
    Malc
    Got it, Right click on the server and select disable.....even a novell monkey can get that icon_redface.gif
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great! I'm glad it all worked out.
    yeh thanks.....i got it all sorted with static IPs and then couldn't help myself in trying to setup DHCP icon_lol.gif

I setup the domain, DNS & DHCP scope for my network and added the ip helper-address into my router pointing to my win 2k3 server and bam.....Hosts pickup DHCP IP, SM, DG, DNS and I have learned how to setup basic DNS/DHCP on a Win 2k3 server whilst trying to solve a single ping issue.......now that's a result :D

I have DHCP working OK for hosts plugged into switchports unassigned to VLANs but having an issue getting DHCP with intervlan routing to work. The inter-VLAN routing works fine if I assign my hosts static IP addresses.

I'll take my querey on setting DHCP with inter-vlan routing to the Cisco forums as I'm pretty sure it's a router command I've missed somewhere, unless anyone here knows about this kinda thing?

If so let me know and I'll continue the VLAN problem description and post the details.....

if not then thanks for the words of wisdom!