Options

knowing ....when are you are ready to take the test?

bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
Hello all -

This post is kind of a tradition for me.
Before I even think about sitting down and taking a test, I always come here and ask "how do you know when you are ready?".

I ask this question for each test, because each test is different...each test has a certain amount of "wiggle-room" that will allow you to miss questions but still pass.

So far I have had a steady diet of:

MS Press
TestOut Video Series
CBT Nuggets
Skimming through Sybex

I have read over the MS page that lists the concepts and skills being tested, but with people getting a lot of WSUS questions, makes me wonder what else they put in there.

291 has been dubbed "The Beast" due to a high fail rate, so I was wondering if I am missing any concepts:

TCPIP and Subnetting
I admit that I still can not subnet in my head..... Mike Meyer's Network+ all in one book had a VERY good section on how to do it and I had it down for the Network+ test. CBT Nuggets has a good nugget about it, but I admit it bored me to tears. Any other references?

Command Line
ping
ipconfig
tracert
pathping
nslookup
(I know there are more but the names escape me)

DHCP
DORA
Database repair
Options - setting up DNS, Default Gateway, etc.
Logs
Scopes
Super Scopes
Reservations
Client Config (ipconfig /all /reslease /renew)
Authorizing The Server

DNS
Recursion
Primary Zone
Secondary Zone
Stub Zone
Forward Lookups
Reverse Lookups
Authorizing the Server
Root Hints
Conditional Forwarding
Root Servers
Cache
SOA
Record Types (A, NS, CNAME, MX)
Record Scavaging
Events and Logs
Zone Delegation
Reload Data

WSUS
Setup / Install
Configure Server
Configure Clients
Approve or Reject Items

RRAS
DialIn Access
DHCP Relay
VPN

Security
L2TP
IPSEC
Templates

One thing that gets me is the lack of WSUS in my study material, and how many people say they get 4 to 10 questions on WSUS....seems testout or cbt nuggets would have caught that.

Before I go off and lock myself in a lab for a month or two, any other areas I should focus on?