Options

CWSP

Has anyone taken the CWSP? My next class in grad school is "Wireless Security" and the textbook is the official CWSP study guide from CWNP. I figured I might as well sit for the test after the class. I am little concerned, since I do not have a background in wireless - is the test difficult? What were the trouble-spots?
It's not the moments of pleasure, it's the hours of pursuit...

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    There's lots of info on the CWSP certification in the CWNP forum.
  • Options
    wmackeywmackey Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the CWSP. I passed on the second attempt. You will need the 2nd edition book, the IEEE 802.11 Handbook and a copy of the actual 802.11i spec for prep material.

The test is a bear, as are the other Planet3 tests. There is a lot of material on the test that you just will not find anywhere except in the spec and the handbook.

Also, while it is not a pre-requisite I would really recommend taking the CWNA first. It will help on both the CWSP test and simply in understanding the material.

Wade Mackey
  • Options
    wmackey wrote:
    Also, while it is not a pre-requisite I would really recommend taking the CWNA first. It will help on both the CWSP test and simply in understanding the material.
    Let me clarify that it is necessary to pass both the CWNA and CWSP exams to be awarded the CWSP certification. However, these exams many be taken in either order, and I do agree that it would be best to take the CWNA exam first.
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks guys for the replies. My game plan is to take the CWNA first and then the CWSP. I'll have to search out the IEEE handbook and specs - hopefully I can find them on an online auction or Amazon (too bad the IEEE sells them for so much).
  • Options
    Go to www.cwnp.com and have a look at the offical study guides and online practice exams. Sybex also has an excellent CWNA Study Guide. You can buy the books at a discount from the booksellers on Amazon.
  • Options
    drakhan2002drakhan2002 Member Posts: 111
    Thanks JD, I picked up the official study guides for both exams from Amazon.com. The wireless class actually uses the official study guide as the textbook for the term.
  • Options
    The wireless class actually uses the official study guide as the textbook for the term.
    That's great! It's best to take 802.11 classes based on the CWNA and CWSP certification material. Ask as many questions as you like in our CWNP forum. :)