Options

Packet Tracer compared to other simulators??

emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have been spending a lot of time in hotels with work recently so have been using Packet Tracer instead of using my home lab.

I was just wondering what people thought o0f it over boson and the other simulators?

Cheers

Jon

Comments

• Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i think boson and packet tracer sucks

Use dynamips....
  • Options
    lauplaup Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    packet tracer is ok to a certain extent. its just for basic router switch config
  • Options
    I Guess for very basic things are ok.... but it sucks that you cant simulate OSPF neither IS IS on it.... and not all commands are availible... this doesnt happenw ith dynamips... everything is availible and everything works fine.... plus it has no bugs... cause it use the REAL IOS...

you can even connect a real Switch to a virtual switch in the pc that is emulating routers on it.... i mean HOW GREAT IS THAT! omg! :)
  • Options
    emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to try and give dynamips a try. If I can get it to run on my laptop then I may have the ultimate solution for when I am stuck in a hotel room somewhere.

Cheers

Jon
  • Options
    The only problem with dynamips is that is not soo userfriendly.... you gotta edith or make scripts for you lab topologies... but as soon as you learn how to do it, its all good :D
    You will have ALL commands availible on dynamips....

guess you can use packet tracer and netsim since you doing really basic things...
    When i studied for CCNA i did used packet tracer and netsim but what i didnt like of it is that sometimes net sim did weird things... it was like really buggy.... and in packet tracer you just can use EIGRP and rip... you cant practice OSPF on it or ISIS(this isnt on CCNA i guess)
  • Options
    Azure7oAzure7o Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ppl i am new so i make one network on packet tracer with router between 2 LANs ... and when i try to send packet from LAN1 to LAN2 it is impossible .. so can you tell me the command which enable to LAN1 to see LAN2 ... THX (it might not be the right place to post that reply but... )
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Azure7o wrote:
    ppl i am new so i make one network on packet tracer with router between 2 LANs ... and when i try to send packet from LAN1 to LAN2 it is impossible .. so can you tell me the command which enable to LAN1 to see LAN2 ... THX (it might not be the right place to post that reply but... )

You are being kinda vague there did you set up any type of dynamic or static routes to the lans? please explain your issues a bit more so we can help you.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Azure7o wrote:
    so can you tell me the command which enable to LAN1 to see LAN2
    What devices do you have on the LANs?

What is the network address for LAN1?
    What is the network address for LAN2?
    What is the Router's LAN 1 interface IP Address and subnet mask?
    What is the Router's LAN 2 interface IP Address and subnet mask?

Can you ping from a device on LAN1 to the Router Interface on LAN1?
    Can you ping from a device on LAN1 to the Router Interface on LAN2?
    Can you ping from a device on LAN2 to the Router Interface on LAN2?
    Can you ping from a device on LAN2 to the Router Interface on LAN1?

If the device on LAN1 is a router, do you have a routing protocol running? Is it sharing network information with the Router connecting LAN 1 and LAN 2? Or did you configure a static route pointing to the Router that connects LAN 1 and LAN 2?

IF it's a Host/PC on LAN 1 -- do you have a default gateway configured pointing to the Router LAN 1 Interface?

You can draw a "stick network" to show your configuration so people have an idea what you're talking about or trying.
    PC1---<LAN 1>---Router1---<LAN 2>---PC2

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hmm
    the network is 1<--(5PCs) ---- Switch ---- Router ---- Switch ---- (5PCs)--->2...
    router is with interfaces FastEthernet 0/0 and 0/1 ... and 2 DHCP pools ... and when i try Simple PDU (p) from 1 to 2 it says incomplete ...
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I think it may be a bug in the program. I had a similar experience, even though I was able to ping ok.
  • Options
    but man if there isnt config of the router which enable pc1 to see pc9 for exapmle ....
    i want to know how to config router which can connect the 2 Lans ... i mean when i try Simple PDU .. form PC1 to PC9 not to falid .. i want to say "Successful" ...
  • Options
    ok guys .. another question .. i see that on the 1st no one can help me ...
    so i have another
    i have network "1" with 1 server and 5 PCs and again switch --- router --- switch and the same 1server with 5 PCs .. and when i config DHCP on the servers ... and when try to ping one PC from another PC from Network 1 to network 2 ( 192.168.1.3 pings 192.168.2.2) and it says request time out ... ( on all screen there is only green light ) no red ... router configured Fast Ethernet 0/1 and 0/0 ... so if some one to help me i think that the best way is to send him the .pkt fail ... if someone twants to see .pkt fail PM me the skype ..