time to wait for a callback?

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
What is a reasonable time to expect to hear back from a prospective employer if you've had an informal chat about the role prior to having a formal interview?

I have had this informal chat in regard to a role I am VERY keen on, the guy phoned me from Europe and said he was impressed with my CV and what I had to say and he would be in touch. I made the mistake of not asking when I could expect to hear doh!

It is only a week back yesterday (Tues) and the job has been re-advertised online. Does this mean they are not interested or does it usually take a bit longer for them to come back, or is it all circumstantial? They are recruiting direct not through an agency, but using an online job bank to advertise the job.

It's a networking role overseas that requires the CCNA or equivelant exp, he knows I sit the 640-801 next week, is it possible he is waiting to see if I pass this or is this not before making a decision on taking my application further?

I've only worked for one company since graduating but worked 3 different positions, so I'm not that familiar with job applications and times to wait etc.....

Thanks

Comments

• Hercules_UkHercules_Uk Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sounds like u really want this job - due to the job being re-advertised i might not put my hopes up too high. I also doubt that the employer is waiting to see whether how you did in your CCNA exam or not - there is also a chance that i may be completely wrong - what i normally do is expect the worse out of such situations. saves me a lot dispointment when i actually dont get what i expected but at the same time i give my best nevertheless.

if i were u and it had been over a week and i really wanted this job, i would call the employer myself and ask the progress of my application. no harm in doing so + plus it would also show ur interest in the position + its ur right to know i believe rather than to keep you hanging around which you shouldnt do at the first place, but it sounds like you are. keep applying for other jobs - dont give up - plenty more.

good luck
    currently working towards MCSA and job searching..........
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sounds like u really want this job - due to the job being re-advertised i might not put my hopes up too high. I also doubt that the employer is waiting to see whether how you did in your CCNA exam or not - there is also a chance that i may be completely wrong - what i normally do is expect the worse out of such situations. saves me a lot dispointment when i actually dont get what i expected but at the same time i give my best nevertheless.

if i were u and it had been over a week and i really wanted this job, i would call the employer myself and ask the progress of my application. no harm in doing so + plus it would also show ur interest in the position + its ur right to know i believe rather than to keep you hanging around which you shouldnt do at the first place, but it sounds like you are. keep applying for other jobs - dont give up - plenty more.

good luck

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I do really want this job....it is working with a very large European aeronautic company doing Comms/Network support. I have tried to put it to the back of my mind for the last week or so and I'm in a bit of a catch 22 wether to contact the guy as I don't want to bug him, but at the same time I don't want to be left in limbo! Driving me a bit crazy waiting on a reply but as I say, I don't want him to just think I'm being a nuisance (even though it would be the first time I've contacted him)

I may give him a phone tomorrow if I have not heard anything (my mobile bill will be through the roof calling Europe, but ah well, gotta do what you gotta do!)......Thanks for the input Herc :D

Any more advice, from hiring managers?

Thanks

Malc
    you pick that phone up 2moro and give him a call - sound confident but not desperate - u might also want to consider emailing the guy - its less invasive - that way u wont rush his decision and would give him time to maybe rethink or review ur cv/application and consider u for the job

once again good luck and keep us posted
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    Re-running the job ad can only mean one of two things: 1) They aren't happy with candidates that have applied so far or 2) the tech hiring manager and his HR department aren't communicating.

In the States, most HR departments won't consider you unless you filll out a formal application, but I don't know how it is done "across the pond." Didn't sound to me like you have done that yet. So even if the hiring guy wants you, HR may not even know you exist.

So I think it's worth a call too, if you havn't already done so.

Good luck,

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
    So I called the guy up and got through to him on his direct dial he gave me and he said he was in a meeting. I said sorry for disturbing him and he said it was okay and to drop him an email which he would reply today or tomorrow.

I said I wasn't phoning to perster him, I just forgot to ask him when I should expect to hear when we spoke last week and he said no "that's understandable". He then said the reason I haven't heard is because they are still talking to people and he hasn't forgotten about me.

So hopefully it is not completely out of the equation unless he was just making niceities on the phone but from what I know of him so far and the size of the company I'd like to think that's not his style.

So I'm about to draft my email, any advice on what to mention and what not to mention? Keep it short sharp and to the point? Do I mention the phone conversation I had today?

Thanks in advance
  • emsrescueemsrescue Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Something I have learnt when chasing people on things is to always mention phone conversations you have had eg:

re: our phone conversation yesterday, I am......................................

It helps jog peolples memories and if you (doesnt really apply here) can cc their manager in it can make things happen very fast.

Be polite and explain what you are looking from them i.e.

Conformation that you are still in the running
    Or that you havn't been successfull, if so ask for feedback.

Jon
    Nice one, I've sent the email, now it's just let it stick to the wall time and see what happens.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know :)
    Replied to the email saying that he was sorry couldn't talk before. He also said the process is taking way too long as he needs someone ASAP, but he is "required" to speak to lots of internal people which is a scheduling nightmare....I'm guessing he means internal applicants from where he is and other countries!

Anyway, he rounded it up saying I should know next week one way or another and if I have not heard by Wednesday then to send him an email as a prompt.

I guess it gives me the opportunity to remind him about my CCNA exam which I will hopefully have passed, as I sit that on Tuesday!

The saga continues............
    the reply u recieved sounds promising IMO - now just concentrate on the 640-801 and hopefully all things should fall in place

:)
    Thanks Herc, as you said earlier, I'll try and forget it for now as passing 640-801 is my Number 1 priority at the moment and my mind is at rest as i at least know the situation!

Cheers
    Malc