Which test order

Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just recertified my CCNA and want to keep up my good study habits. In what order should I take the tests?

Comments

• NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Waht doyou mean? test to advance in the cisco career?
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Waht doyou mean? test to advance in the cisco career?

The CCNP is made up of 3 or 4 exams....He is asking which one of the 642 exams is the best to pursue first.

Sorry I can't help with advice, I just think that's what the question means
  • optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Take BSCI first. :)
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I'm going for BCMSN first. It is the only one with the full line of Cisco Press books out. Sybex has nothing, and BSCI has only the self study guide. So that begs the next question: Self Study Guide or Exam Certification Guide? So far, looking at the SSG, I see some stuff that is not included in the exam objectives, and also a lot of CatOS examples. However I don't think the ECG's are as thorough.

I really wanted to use the Sybex books. I think they just read better. They just aren't out there yet.
  • djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ed Rooney wrote:
    So that begs the next question: Self Study Guide or Exam Certification Guide? So far, looking at the SSG, I see some stuff that is not included in the exam objectives, and also a lot of CatOS examples. However I don't think the ECG's are as thorough.

I definitely plan on using both the SSG and the ECG for each exam. I think that is the way the cirriculum is designed. For someone who already knows the material and wants to study for the exam, the ECG may be enough. But being fresh out of CCNA, I am going to need both for sure.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    BCMSN exam will be the first one for me too. Mostly because it is the only one with ciscopress books available.

Currently I am reading ECG by Hucaby and it feels comfortable. Unless there is some a priori knowledge required that I'm missing from the horizon.

What I can say - I like ciscopress teaching approach. Open end questions after each chapter are golden.

Actually I feel that these books give you a lot more than is needed to pass the exam and I like that too.

Good luck to everyone else who is pursuing this track :)
  • Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone started with the composite, or are you better off taking them one at a time?
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Ed Rooney wrote:
    Has anyone started with the composite, or are you better off taking them one at a time?

It depends on your plans.

642-892 Composite Exam

Associated Certifications: CCNP, CCDP

642-812 Building Converged Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks
    642-901 Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks

Associated Certifications: CCNP, CCIP, CCDP

It should be clear now.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm studying for the BSCI right now because I've got the most material for it. I've got the uber book on BGP by Cisco Press and I've got a lot of documentation on IS/IS, EIGRP, OSPF, and all of that good stuff.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/