Options

We're dumping Symantec! Recommend an ENTERPRISE a/v

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    We've used Symantec/Norton since 2000. NEVER had a virus (knocking on every piece of wood I can find, scratching a stay and turning around three times).

Also, it ain't cheap, or easy, to make an enterprise-wide change. But if I had to, I would to go trend-micro.
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Blended threats require blended response. We use Symantec at work and I am not a fan but as has been said none are perfect. We had a bad malware breakout right after I started with my current company, some spybotw32 variant that had propagated across about 20 sites before the AV even began to notice it. Now we still use Symantec on the clients and servers but to me that's the weakest part of the system...a fallback. the new IDS (and hopefully IPS to be funded soon) and monitoring sites like the SANS internet storm center and being pro-active in building IDS and firewall rules has had a dramatic impact. The single best example was that With warnings about the 2967 worm before Xmas we were setup (with fairly simple and cheap equipment) to alert and respond when the first instances appeared. 4 victim machines over 2 sites as opposed to the earlier Spybot mess. The only thing you can put your faith in is vigilance not any one software package....I wonder if I can get them to spring for HIPS too....;)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chapt3r:4 wrote:
    Symantec is evil! icon_twisted.gif
    Right now its causing some serrrious issues with our FAT PC's (we have about 400 pcs in total - 20% of them fat) - Making a P4 feel like a good ol 20Mhz Intel!
    Its GREAT!!! icon_lol.gif

GUH!!! Why do you have FAT partitions in 2007? There is a new craze sweeping the IT world, it's called Information SECURITY. You may have heard of it (or then again...)

Some companies require software that has not been updated with newer operating systems. Its a pain in the ass and a security hole but remember business needs dictate your security policy and implementation. I had to ghost a Win311 machine the other day that while essential to business has literally been running for longer than I've had an IT career icon_eek.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Trend Micro.

We use it too.

Symantec Antivirus got the boot form our department. It was expensive and just didn't find viruses. Load the Trend office Scan Client and bang, viruses are detected in seconds.

Symantec have indeed gone backward for years. I swore off their products in 2004.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We use Nod32 Enterprise edition. I am very happy with their product and customer service.