Options

Is IGRP a Cisco Proprietary Protocol ???

Gaztop1Gaztop1 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys i am just curious i have seen on the cisco practice exams on techexam site say that IGRP are a cisco proprietary protocol. As far as i know from reading cisco handbooks etc IGRP is not supported on cisco hardware.

so if anyone could please answer my question would be an eye opener.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    IGRP and EIGRP(enhanced IGRP) are Cisco proprietary protocols, and only supported by Cisco hardware.
  • Options
    IGRP and EIGRP(enhanced IGRP) are Cisco proprietary protocols, and only supported by Cisco hardware.

ok if thats the case then why in the Cisco ICND file does it say IGRP is onyl covered to give you an outline of all routing protocols but is not available on cisco IOS ?? can anyone answer that or is cisco printing typo's in the books ?
  • Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    IGRP, like RIP is not something you gonna find anymore in actual networks.

They do not support VLSM (variable lenght subnet masking), and produce too much overhead, due to their periodic updates of the entire route tables.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Igrp has been replaced by eigrp. Igrp is no longer supported on Cisco's current IOS, i'm not sure what release the phase out began in but if you get your hands on an old ios you shoud be able to configure igrp.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    thanks guys , i was only curious cause i have been using the Cisco CCNA prep centre and iCND manual for general over all study and both dont mention any config commands just that it is old form of EIGRP and its a distance vector protocol.

i been coming across other sites for study material and IGRP is always asked so i am just nervous and taking precautions for when i do my exam. hoping to do it closer to end of this month or beginning on next month.
  • Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gaztop1 wrote:
    thanks guys , i was only curious cause i have been using the Cisco CCNA prep centre and iCND manual for general over all study and both dont mention any config commands just that it is old form of EIGRP and its a distance vector protocol.

i been coming across other sites for study material and IGRP is always asked so i am just nervous and taking precautions for when i do my exam. hoping to do it closer to end of this month or beginning on next month.
    haven't gotten to the ICND book yet but it clearly states in the INTRO book that it's proprietary