Options

Passed!

spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Just passed the 640-801. Not happy with my score (860), but a pass is a pass. This was my first Cisco exam, definitely harder than MS exams. I was surprised how fast the time went - I didn't get to answer the last question. At one point I had 18 questions left with only 21 minutes. I almost gave up but decided to press through, the questions got a bit easier and I was to answer most questions except for the last one.

Anyhow thanks to everyone on the forum and to the Techexams site for the valuable info.

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeMcFly22GeorgeMcFly22 Member Posts: 109
    Congrats! Welcome in the Cisco club.
  • Options
    liteheddedlitehedded Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what took up all your time?
    sims?
    subnetting?
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetworkGodNetworkGod Member Posts: 236 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome man, see ya in CCNP forum ;)
    What one man can do another can do.

(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
    (")_(")domination.

- CCNA - CCDA - BCMSN - BSCI -
    - 70-270 -
  • Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    Congrats! :D
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    deneb829deneb829 Member Posts: 292
    fantastic!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world - People who understand binary and people who do not.
  • Options
    spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys,

I got a simlet regarding Root Bridge and Mac Address port assignments. I wasn't prepared for the way the question was posed. Things seem a lot different in a test environment versus when you are studying. I wasted at least 10 minutes on this question. I do feel some of the questions could have been worded better, but that's to be expected!!
    Congrats Spicc7, that's awesome. Don't be down on your score, lets face it if you scored that in a M$ test, it would be a darned good score right? I will be happy to score 849 when i take the ICND.. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    spicc7 wrote:
    This was my first Cisco exam, definitely harder than MS exams.

First of all - Congratulations!

And what really gnaws me - are those MS exams really easier than Cisco ones?
  • Options
    hanakuinhanakuin Member Posts: 144
  • Options
    carveonecarveone Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just did mine and got 835. Nearly cried icon_sad.gif

I also got the question with root bridge and mac address and it threw me a lot - I knew how to get everything but then paniced - I had about 20 questions and about 18 minutes left - they did get easier but I didn't know that and rushed.

(I'm not giving any questions away here just in case - only the guy who passed knows what I mean)

What took a lot of time working out was sub and supernetting. Here's a big help - when you go into the exam, you don't have to start right away. Take a few minutes and write down the darn subnets and powers:
    128, 196, 224 etc

and /30 is blah.253 with 4 increment (2^2) and 4-1 = blah.3 wildcard mask. This will help a lot. I feel cisco deliberately waste your time to make you panic!

Also know that there may be two good answers and you pick the best one given the question.

Oh: I have a question.
    hub -------  router  -------- switch
     |                              |
    ----------                  ----------
    |  |  |  |                  |  |  |  |
    pc pc pc pc                 pc pc pc pc

Broadcast domains = 2
    collision domains = 3
    right???
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Each port on a switch is its own collision domain ('the' difference between hub and switch). So in your example there are 6 collision domains (1 left of the router, one between the router and the switch, and one per PC) and indeed 2 broadcast domains (assuming all PC on the switch are in the same VLAN).

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    Each port on a switch is its own collision domain ('the' difference between hub and switch). So in your example there are 6 collision domains (1 left of the router, one between the router and the switch, and one per PC) and indeed 2 broadcast domains (assuming all PC on the switch are in the same VLAN).

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/networkcomponents.shtml

Thank you - the picture just under the Routers heading shows the idea. Which I understand. The problem being that all your pictures are so precise!

Should I assume that when the exam shows what I showed in my diagram: ie: a line from the switch and then the bar underneath it with the PCs connected to the bar, that it does NOT mean what the books seem to mean! That is a single cable from the switch to a group of pcs. Presumably the group of pcs is connected with a magic hub icon_confused.gif

This would lead me to believe that 3 was the answer. Which is couldn't have been anyway as "3" wasn't one of options!!! Sigh. I wonder can I complain icon_mad.gif

Conor.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    We actually had a discussion about a diagram in one my practice questions a while ago in which I do the same, it's standard for a 'logical' diagram. So yeah, you should assume each PC has an individual cable to the switch as it would have in reality.
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    We actually had a discussion about a diagram in one my practice questions a while ago in which I do the same, it's standard for a 'logical' diagram. So yeah, you should assume each PC has an individual cable to the switch as it would have in reality.

Right, that makes a lot of sense. I'm analysing the questions I can remember from my exam so as not to make the same mistakes. I know at this point that the Cisco diagrams don't leave things out - ie: there can't be a magic hub in there so there must be 4 connections to that switch. The book I used however (ExamPrep) quite often showed something like what I drew and said "one collision domain on that line".

In hindsight it's obvious of course but when you've 60 seconds per question thinking is not much of an option! icon_confused.gif

Cheers - that helps a lot,

Conor.