Options

Remote Access to Disk Manager

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have a Virtual WinXPpro Machine (VMware). I connected to Computer Management snap-in from the guest machine to the host machine.

It worked fine. But When I click on "Disk management" Windows tells me the following:
You do not have access rights to Logical Disk Manager on Laptop

any idea ?

ps: Laptop is the name of my host machine.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Admin rights on the host machine are required. How did you log into the guest machine?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Here is a review of the situation:

Machine A: is my physical box (my laptop).
    Machine B: is a virtual machine . I run it on machine A (by using VMware).

Now I am logged on to machine B. And I want to connect to machine A's Disk Manager from machine B.

The problem is that Windows displays the message I mentioned earlier.

I hope you have a clear vision of the issue now icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Here is a review of the situation:

Machine A: is my physical box (my laptop).
    Machine B: is a virtual machine . I run it on machine A (by using VMware).

Now I am logged on to machine B. And I want to connect to machine A's Disk Manager from machine B.

The problem is that Windows displays the message I mentioned earlier.

I hope you have a clear vision of the issue now icon_wink.gif

When you logged into Machine B, was it a local account or domain account? And that same account, is it an admin account on Machine A? If you logged into Machine B as MachineB\Administrator, is it the same password as the MachineA\Administrator account? Just because you are logged into Machine B as an admin, it doesn't necessarily mean you are an admin on Machine A. Hope that's more clear than my frist response. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    When you logged into Machine B, was it a local account or domain account? And that same account, is it an admin account on Machine A?
    I logged on to machine B with a local user account with limited privilieges.
    If you logged into Machine B as MachineB\Administrator, is it the same password as the MachineA\Administrator account?
    I executed Computer Management snap-in with admin credentials (run as...). and this admin password is different from the admin password of machine A.
    Just because you are logged into Machine B as an admin, it doesn't necessarily mean you are an admin on Machine A.
    I absolutely agree with you on that.
  • Options
    Okay, that explains it. You need to use Computer Management as an admin on whatever machine you want to manage. So in order to manage computer A from computer B, you need to use an account that has admin rights on Computer A. Best way is with a domain account, but if you are in a workgroup I think setting the administrator password the same on both computers you should be good to go.