Options

Big day tomorrow

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

I sit the 640-801, my first attempt@10AM tomorrow which is actually only 12 hours away for me now as I'm in the UK!

I've gone through sybex book one last time to take short hand notes of the "niggly" pieces of info I keep forgetting and just gona take a couple of tests from the ciscopress flashcards and hopefully I will be posting back tomorrow with a pass :D

Any last minute tips?

Malc

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck! icon_thumright.gif
    malcybood wrote:
    Any last minute tips?
    Other than get plenty of sleeping.gif tonight....

.... watch your time management on the exam -- no more than 10 minutes per Sim.

.... read the question and all the answers completely, and then reread the question again before selecting the answer.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thank you guys, I'm off to catch some zzzzzzz's now then

Cheers

Malc
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Good luck mate :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    lauplaup Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tip make sure u know access lists, and know your way round a switch flawlessly mate i cant stress that enough.
  • Options
    spicc7spicc7 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Best of luck!
    Bad news guys, I failed with 758! quite icon_redface.gif about it to be honest

I don't know what happened, I clicked start and was presented with an Access List sim as my first question and just froze.....then I found my time management was all out and was rushing questions

I'm totally gutted as I know that I know the material, I just got the exam jitters I think. Will probably re-sit in a couple of weeks

The guy that mentioned knowing your way around a switch flautlessly, you're not kidding......switches and access lists are where my mind blanked!
  • Options
    optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Just stay the course. Practice up on simulations..... Access lists, routing, etc. Retake in a month. Not everyone passes the first time, so it certainly is nothing to be embarrased about. I know about a CCIE that did not even pass the CCNA the first time. It can be a little disheartening, but overall, no biggy.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Does the sim do tab completion the same as a switch?
  • Options
    lauplaup Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    Bad news guys, I failed with 758! quite icon_redface.gif about it to be honest

I don't know what happened, I clicked start and was presented with an Access List sim as my first question and just froze.....then I found my time management was all out and was rushing questions

I'm totally gutted as I know that I know the material, I just got the exam jitters I think. Will probably re-sit in a couple of weeks

The guy that mentioned knowing your way around a switch flautlessly, you're not kidding......switches and access lists are where my mind blanked!

Mate thats why i said. i got an acces list one and spent good 20 mins on that did it like 5 times over to make sure it was right. 3 questions later switch sim i was then left with 43 questions and 30 mins left good job i didnt have nomore sims after that.
  • Options
    Optimus,

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm determined to knock this one out and know where I need to tune my knowledge/memory so hopefully next time :D
    Does the sim do tab completion the same as a switch?

It said in the exam tutorial the tab wasn't supported but it was for some commands and wasn't for some. I'd say know the full commands incase
  • Options
    Ed RooneyEd Rooney Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't want to let on too much about the exam, but any sim offers you a way to check your work. I just about clicked next before I realized that I could open web browsers and check access.
  • Options
    Ed Rooney wrote:
    I don't want to let on too much about the exam, but any sim offers you a way to check your work. I just about clicked next before I realized that I could open web browsers and check access.

I did notice this in a later sim
  • Options
    mattiplermattipler Member Posts: 175
    Hard luck Malc... Stick with it mate. I won't be far behind you... should be taking mine in 3 - 4 months. icon_lol.gif
    Matt of England
  • Options
    carveonecarveone Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I realized that I could open web browsers and check access.

Failed too today icon_sad.gif . Didn't know you could check access. Didn't have time to be honest. The access lists are quite interesting. Blind adherence to the "extended access lists are applied nearest the source" rule is not a plan.

The exam is evil frankly even though I got 835. I was totally gutted too. Sniff.

No tab completion. Use ? everywhere in access lists and it walks you through. I thoroughly agree with "know switches inside and out". Oh boy they aren't kidding. Really. Find a switch and know how to discover everything about it, including other switches that you don't have access too.

I asked - everyone runs out of time. I put some hints in the "Passed" thread just near this one. I can't (and don't) tell you anything about the exam though.

Conor.
  • Options
    flyingtrapezeflyingtrapeze Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The exam is evil frankly even though I got 835. I was totally gutted too. Sniff.

I took it two weeks ago. Was freaked out by the ACCESS LIST Sim then had to **** the Switch Sim in order to complete the exam with 1 min left.

835 score like yours. Retaking 2nd time in 48 hrs after a 2 wks break.

The web browsers on the PCs can help to validate the ACL.

I got given a 48 port switch about a month ago (broken MII). In a Sim when you type "sh int" and it just scrolls with lots of interfaces, can be a shock.

Over prepare, don't panic, good luck

Sam
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Success! icon_cheers.gif
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    seraphus wrote:
    Success! icon_cheers.gif
    Is that for the rematches? Or did I miss a good news post in here?

Did anyone check their horoscope for today (er, yesterday)? Maybe it just wasn't a good day for exams. icon_lol.gif

Don't let it bother you... and kick some exam a** next time. icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement everyone.

I plan to take it within the next couple of weeks but I'm not telling anyoe when lol....When I've passed it I'll update you all icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    djmddjmd Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    malcybood wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback and encouragement everyone.

I plan to take it within the next couple of weeks but I'm not telling anyoe when lol....When I've passed it I'll update you all icon_cool.gif

Good luck! Don't worry, more than half of first-timers failed. I scored 796 the first time and got it the second time.

One piece of advice for the sims - don't forget that you can telnet from one router to another. Forgetting this simple thing cost me a sim and almost put me under 849 on my second time around.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you guys had some VERY similar sims like the one I took just last week. I was glad to see the ? worked! Don't lose hope, guys. Give it some time and try again.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    djmd and Dirtysouth, thanks for the advice guys. Been doing STP and ACL's galore yesterday and today and I'm gona kick this exam's ass on my second attempt icon_cool.gif

Cheers
    Malc
  • Options
    flyingtrapezeflyingtrapeze Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    got mine 923 today
    celebrating this weekend
  • Options
    got mine 923 today
    celebrating this weekend

Brilliant, well done mate

Hopefully not too far behind you