What to do (job)

Sunshine_54Sunshine_54 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I'm stressed right now because I'm wondering if I got a tech support job (mainly unix) or not. I had 2 technical phone interviews over the last few weeks and last Wednesday I had an in person interview (2 hours long). That interview went pretty well I thought and consisted of 2 tech support guys asking troubleshooting questions for an hour and a half and a manager asking troubleshooting questions for half an hour.

The day after the interview I sent a thank you letter to the HR Manager I've been talking with. He called me on Friday saying that he was going to try and hire me and what wage he would set me up with but its not for sure and he has to get formal approval which would be by Monday. He also said the people who interviewed me thought I did well and they were looking to hire over 50 people.

Anyways, now its Tuesday. Should I keep waiting or contact him tomorrow possibly? Is this a bad sign or what? I really want the job because it offers excellent pay and would give me tons of experience.

Thanks!

Comments

• Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but... if they want you, they will call you. Unfortunately no one ever calls to say they aren't hiring you. But... if they are hiring 50 folks at once, that may take some time. I would advise you to be patient, but to start looking elsewhere, too.

Good luck,
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's not always the case though. My Mom and her best friend were HR managers and said that they often waited for calls back to see how interested candidates were. It shows HR people how badly you want a job. Also, in my experience, I have gotten a couple jobs because of me showing interest by calling and checking up on the status. Personally, if they don't call you by lunch tomorrow, I would give them a ring to see how things are going. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    I agree with icroyal.

Give them a call. I don't think there's anything wrong
    with another follow up call at this point. Just
    don't go "stalker" with the call backs. :)
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    seraphus wrote:
    I agree with icroyal.

Give them a call. I don't think there's anything wrong
    with another follow up call at this point. Just
    don't go "stalker" with the call backs. :)

I'd call. As well as recommend it! Sounds like the perfect reason to as well.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Another factor to bear in mind while waiting for jobs at this time of year is financial year end. A lot of places have plans for the new financial year but are waiting on budgets to be approved.

I recently got the ok on a job after waiting many weeks. Reason for the delay was that they were awaiting the new budget to be approved. I figured this out (wasn't told) and didn't put too much preassure on. Just a phone call here and there every 2-3 weeks just to show interest whilst not bugging the guy at the same time (I still have contract work keeping me going so it's not as if I need an income desperately).

Once that hurdle was cleared, we were off. Got a phone call straight away and appologies and explanations for the delay. Start date sorted. Because I didn't bug the guy I think, I came through it whilst the odd phone call still keept me on his radar.
    Kam.
  • dubbs112dubbs112 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since we are talking about call backs I have a question about my situation. I was browsing the local job posting site and found what looks like a great opportunity very close to home for quite a bit more money than I make now.

But I did not see the job until the 1st of this month, I emailed my resume that day and sent a couple emails the following week. I got a reply that I missed the deadline for the application process, I am assuming since they originally posted the job in February that the deadline was Feb 28th. But the HR lady told me that they would hold my resume for 6 months and if they did not find a qualified candidate in the pool of resumes they received during the application window that they would go back and re-evaluate the resumes they have on file.

I meet there requested qualifications to a T, and I really want to be considered for this position. Would i just be considered a pain in the butt if i continued to call or email to find out the status of the position since I missed the deadline?