Options

Command Line

VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
Is there usually a lot of command line stuff in the exam? There seems to be a lot more to learn than on "lesser" exams. AD etc

Just wondering how much time to devote to it compared to other areas.

Thanks

Charlie.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here are the skills being measured:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-290.mspx#EXE

Based on that I think you may need to know how to create and manage user/computer accounts via command line (dsadd, dsquery and dsmod).

Less likely but still possible could be the "at" command for scheduling and the "ntbackup" command.

Basic familiarity with the command line should get you by, but pay special attention to the ds commands.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    VantageUKVantageUK Member Posts: 111
    Thanks for that.

Got the DS and NTBackup commands fairly well sorted. I'll take in some more maybe

Cheers

Charlie.
  • Options
    doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Dont know if its the case in the real exam, but they paid special attention to the the DSGET command in the bobcasts. Its usually a good indication that it's gonna be in the exam...
    Also, i think, know the basics of ldifde and csvde...

Cheers !

Doom969

* I'm also studying the 70-290
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
  • Options
    sunny155sunny155 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also take note of NTDSUTIL for Authoratitive Restore and to Reset the Directory Service Restore Mode Password and many more.

"Restores domain controllers to a specific point in time and marks objects in Active Directory as being authoritative with respect to their replication partners"

and Netdom for resetting the Domain Controller Machine account Password-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260575
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sunny155 wrote:
    Also take note of NTDSUTIL for Authoratitive Restore and to Reset the Directory Service Restore Mode Password and many more.

"Restores domain controllers to a specific point in time and marks objects in Active Directory as being authoritative with respect to their replication partners"

and Netdom for resetting the Domain Controller Machine account Password-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260575

Hi sunny. That's a useful command/link, and good to know, but I don't think it will appear on the 70-290 exam. If you check out the skills being measured in my previous post, you'll see the following under disater recovery:
    Managing and Implementing Disaster Recovery
    Perform system recovery for a server.

• Implement Automated System Recovery (ASR).

• Restore data from shadow copy volumes.

• Back up files and System State data to media.

• Configure security for backup operations.

I think the commands you mentioned will definately appear on one of the other exams for AD though.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    rstainforthrstainforth Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I had a few Q's on my exam relating to command line stuff, but mainly in the form of multiple choice stuff (eg an admin has created 100 accounts in the wrong OU, which of the following will get them and move them to the right OU etc etc)

I din't have to do any actual command line work for real, and even in the sims when I tried to drop to a command prompt to mess with it the run command was disabled, so everything had to be done through the GUI.

I found I was mostly tested on AD, NTBackup strategies (normal/incr/diff) and file permissions etc, with the odd hardware/print and a few WSUS problems.
  • Options
    plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    The only question regarding command lines require you to identify commands.

Tip: know the difference between DSGET and DSQUERY!

Know when to use what command and make sure you check out the commands like CSVDE, etc.