Options

Questions

knivez83knivez83 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey, i first off i just wanna say that this forum and website really helped me a lot to take the 70-270. I took it on monday and passed, just barely though only 715. It was my first cert...i probably should've taken my A+ first but i was already deep into microsoft networking...anyway i had a couple a questions. 1, how exactly do they grade you? I mean how do they come up with your score out of 50 questions...also, there were 8(i think it was 8 ) extra questions on the test. I'm not sure if they counted them in your grade or not i was wondering if anyone knows for sure what that's about. Now i want to prepare for my next cert but i'm not sure if i should take my A+ or my 70-290. the server stuff takes a lot more time for me to grasp however i'm not sure if it would be a good idea to halt and focus on my A+ considering i just passed the 70-270. For the record i was into hardware and OS and was gearing up for the A+ but got diverted towards MCSA. And lastly, i feel i need better training material so what would you guys recommend for both the 290 and A+. Props for any help

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site and congrats. 40 questions is an approximation. There can be 40, 42, 45, etc... Questions are weighted and Microsoft has never truly explained how questions are scored. There are some questions that are beta questions that may or may not count towards your final score. For 70-290, MSPress book served me pretty well. As for A+, I haven't done that in a long time, so I wouldn't be able to give you recommendations for it.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    coldbugcoldbug Member Posts: 189
    Gratz dude!! MCP is next on my list to conquer.
    forget about the score...i dont think most hiring managers care about the score..correct me if i am wrong..PASS is a PASS.
    now..lets talk about A+
    CompTIA just made a new exam for A+..you probably know about it, and you should take advantage of that.
    I used David Groth's A+ book from Sybex series.
    I also used Exam Cram 2 and Exam Cram 2 Practice Questions book.
    In addition to those, i used this site for questions i dont understand. People here are really kool, and i am very sure you will get help.
    Also, use this site for a Free Study Guide.
    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/products/list-study-guides.asp

Good Luck!
    "If you want to kick the tiger in his ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth."
  • Options
    thanks u guys i appreciate it.
  • Options
    RulkiewiczRulkiewicz Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    knivez83 wrote:
    Hey, i first off i just wanna say that this forum and website really helped me a lot to take the 70-270. I took it on monday and passed, just barely though only 715. It was my first cert...i probably should've taken my A+ first but i was already deep into microsoft networking...anyway i had a couple a questions. 1, how exactly do they grade you? I mean how do they come up with your score out of 50 questions...also, there were 8(i think it was 8 ) extra questions on the test. I'm not sure if they counted them in your grade or not i was wondering if anyone knows for sure what that's about. Now i want to prepare for my next cert but i'm not sure if i should take my A+ or my 70-290. the server stuff takes a lot more time for me to grasp however i'm not sure if it would be a good idea to halt and focus on my A+ considering i just passed the 70-270. For the record i was into hardware and OS and was gearing up for the A+ but got diverted towards MCSA. And lastly, i feel i need better training material so what would you guys recommend for both the 290 and A+. Props for any help

I am taking the exam next week. What types of questions did you get? How much real world exp do you have and what materials did you study with?

And Congrats bro, I hope to be there too next week!
  • Options
    Rulkiewicz wrote:
    knivez83 wrote:

I am taking the exam next week. What types of questions did you get? How much real world exp do you have and what materials did you study with?

And Congrats bro, I hope to be there too next week!

Thanks man and good luck. There were a lot of security questions regarding permissions. Really it had some of everything i can't think of what there were more of, but permissions gave me the most trouble. I would say i have 1 year total of experience. This is part of the reason why i didn't score as high as i wanted to. I only did hands on stuff regarding, sharing and permissions for 1 month, but this was late last year. So although i studied and studied i always got confused about what overrides what. It seems so simple u really need to just understand the rules. Permissions were the only part i was weak in everything else i was around "strong". The materials i used were the internet and this MCSA all in one which i don't recommend because they cram important stuff in 1 chapter and leave out a whole lot more. However it did help me to focus on particulars and i just had to do searches on them for more in depth stuff. I had took a training course and they supplied us with the actuall book. Also gave us an whole book on Active Directory which i would like to get into eventually. It doesn't say who wrote it but one really good thing is they have many labs to do that give u an idea of how such and such utility works. In retrospect i should have just bought a cheap test pc that had xp pro, and dual booted it with w2k3. that way i could've done more hands on stuff to reinforce the rules i learned about late last year. But i'ma kinda broke so what i'ma do is call my old boss and ask him to hook me up with his volume xp and w2k3 cds. he's got a bunch of em and i'm sure he'll be cool with it. I really need to do more hands on stuff if i want to do well for the 70-290. If u have the means u should really set up a mini lab and do labs while reading the material. Unless what you read translates fast and u understand it. For me i need to actually do it not just read for it to actually stick.

any way,good luck man.